• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Ptsd Vs Medical Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie1110

New Here
Cross posting this... hubby had a terrible weekend with his PTSD symptoms as I have stated in other posts and woke up Monday with the most severe tremors I've ever seen. He was supposed to have blood work first thing in the morning, but he was shaking so bad he wanted me to put off the appt til later in the day. I did and we were scheduled for 11:30am. Well, he still didn't want to go because of the tremors.I insisted we go so we did. While getting blood work, I asked if the doc could peek at him real quick to document the tremors. I thought we should go to the ER since we were so close and she agreed. Her hope was that he would be seen by the hospital neurologist down in the ER. Off we went to the ER.

Awesome! Not a single person there so he was taken back immediately. They ran a couple blood tests and then started him on an IV since his sodium was dangerously low. Then they add a bag of calcium to that and then a bag of magnesium and said they were admitting him. Here, his ammonia high and his sodium, calcium & mag was dangerously low. ie, calcium was .7 and should be at least 8.5. Come to find out, these things being so low can cause hallucinations, irritability, tremors, disorientation, and dizziness. Pretty much everything he's been experiencing. Prozac will lower sodium levels and cause tremors. They have run bunches of tests and still don't have a definitive reason for all of this going on. The neurologist said that he has liver disease, but then the Gi doc says that a fatty enlarged liver is not totally an indicator of liver disease. Although as of right now we still don't know what's wrong with him, his levels that are low are mostly back up where they need to be and the high ammonia is below where it needs to be. More tests are being run today.

I don't want to discount the PTSD diagnosis, but it appears that the majority of symptoms that I thought were PTSD are actually medically related. He is still having problems at night with what I think are hallucinations, but he says he's dreaming. Tuesday night he was "dreaming" awake for so many hours that he ripped out 2 IVs. They gave him all kinds of things to get him calmed down, but nothing worked so I was called and had to go back to the hospital. Now I'm just staying her through the night; just trying to eliminate as much drama as I can before it happens. Anyway, it took me til 4am to get him to go to sleep. Rough night!

Last night was just a little rough. I need to ask the neurologist or psychiatrist about this awake dreaming that hubby is doing. Last night he was "working" in his sleep as well as trying to remove his heart monitor. He was also messing with his IV, but not sure if he would have removed it. I cannot wait til we have some definitive answers!!

Has anyone found that their PTSD symptoms were actually much more based in a medical condition than mental? The docs haven't been in yet today, but I would like to be able to get more answers unless they just don't know yet... Thanks, as always, for listening and giving me valuable feedback. Nothing anyone writes will offend me so never think you are being too harsh. I'm a firm believer that sometimes HARSH is a necessity that I need (maybe everyone does). I appreciate everything you all say!! Yes, even if I don't like it. :-) I never discount anything or take it with a grain of salt. That would be narrow minded of me and I could miss something very important from you all.

I am really happy to hear this @maggie1110 . It is good to know that your sufferer is being taken care of so well and that he is on the mend. I had tremors and so on and also used to buckle as if I had been punched in the stomach. I was hospitalized in mid December with pancreatitis. I have no pain response that I can identify normally so could not say that it was 'painful' when I buckled. I wonder now whether it was pancreatitis or something going on that led to the pancreatitis all along.

This is a great thread and thank you so much for the reminder to check for physical issues first and foremost.

That's part of the importance of proper diagnosis... Which always, always, always includes a full medical work up to rule out physiological causes, before looking for neurological or psychological causes. Far too many people don't do this. It's why you hear about "cures" for disorders that don't have them... Because they never had XYZ to begin with. They had ABC.

That said... All of those problems are also common side effects of panic attacks & vomiting/diarrhea. (Or long distance running, or about a dozen other causes). Once your electrolytes get off balance, it becomes a vicious cycle of each making the other worse. So it's entirely probable that the PTSD diagnosis is still correct.

Here's to hoping it's not!

All of those problems are also common side effects of panic attacks & vomiting/diarrhea
Best path to correct the cycle? Wake up screaming or chocking, then vomit. Last med in late November was Martazpine. One dose of 7.5 mg within 30 minutes had sever leg cramping toes curling up and down leg violently spasms, charley horse in mid calf, all up to above waist. Only on the left side. When I could stand up it abated, but as soon as I laid down it resumed. Went on for 3 hours. My Primary care Dr. took 3 days to get back to me. I was waiting on appointments with a mental health facility and she just shoved me off to them. The sever cramping comes and goes at night. I usually walk my dog a few miles a day road and trails. My foot and ankle are often swollen and feel broken. Crunch noises in my knee and ankle. Appoint finally given to see a new Primary Dr on Tuesday. I told the Dr that prescribed the Mar… that night, and next day and finally in person. She finally agreed to clonazipam 15 pills. No refills. Today told she "does not agree to long term bezo use." I asked what that meant? Nov to now is long term? I am awakened with violent cramping to fractures in toes and pulled ligaments. New Dr. to see on Tuesday. Scheduler looked into the pharmacy record and read back that take one a day. She was also confused and is getting me to a new Dr. Suggested to get an MRI referral and look into sertatonin syndrome.

Also finally have a therapist, first visit on Monday.

Self care - what to do after the vomiting etc to get balance in system. Even a tooth brush or vitamins in morn can gag choke vomit.

Cross posting update: he was released from the hospital on Friday, thank God!! There are several diagnoses: metabolic encephalopathy, REM sleep disorder behavior, dysphagia, alcohol abuse, acquired thrombocytopenia (low platelets), anxiety & depression, reactive unspecified psychosis, essential tremor, fatty liver, & low blood magnesium. They prescribed clonazepam 1 mg @ bedtime, lamictal 25 mg @ bedtime, remeron 15 mg @ night, haldol 1 mg in morning and night, metaprolol 25 mg in morning and night (for BP), & finofibrate 160 mg in morning (for cholesterol).

Today is 5 days home and he seems to be doing very well outside of being a bit tired. I'm wondering if the haldol is the culprit there. He has follow ups with the pcp (primary care physician) and neurologist and will continue his therapy once a week. One thing that bothered me is that his platelets were only 30,000 when we left the hospital. They didn't bring in a hematologist or give him any platelets. I'm going to have lots of questions for the pcp when we see her. I almost feel like they were getting rid of him because it was Friday. I don't know. I just wish those platelets were higher (normal is 150,000-400,000). He has to be careful not to bleed or bruise because that can cause more problems that will put him back in the hospital. His spleen is also enlarged and until it s no longer enlarged, I'm guessing his platelets will continue to be low. One of the causes of enlarged spleen & low platelets is alcohol. He now knows that he can't have even one beer or wine. No alcohol at all!

Anyway, now it seems like his PTSD symptoms were exacerbated by the low electrolytes. If I understood everything correctly, this was caused by him drinking too much water. That not only depleted his electrolytes, but also dehydrated him. Now he's limited to a quart a day instead of the gallon he was drinking. Just amazing... don't drink too much water!! Who'd a thunk?

I'm doing better since learning about all this stuff. As I think back on hubby's behavior over the past couple of weeks, I should have probably taken him to the hospital at least 1 1/2 weeks before, but he didn't want to go. Next time, too bad. We're going before things escalate the way they did this time. Thursday night I'm going to go to my first Al-Anon meeting. I'm hoping that not only will I be able to get support for his alcoholism, but maybe it will help in other areas like the PTSD. One day at a time...

@Changeling My hubby had leg cramps so I went online and researched everything. I ended up giving him calcium, potassium and magnesium supplements and they went away. Once the pills ran out a couple of months ago, he didn't want to get anymore because of costs (he's been out of work since last June). Just 2 weeks ago, the leg cramps started all over again. While he was in the hospital last week, they gave him potassium, calcium & magnesium by iv. When he came home, I got him started on the supplements again and so far no more leg cramps. Have you tried any kind of supplements? Before you go taking anything, make sure to check with your doc to see if it will conflict with anything else you are taking.

Have you tried any kind of supplements? Before you go taking anything, make sure to check with your doc to see if it will conflict with anything else you are taking.
Thanks for the advise. I do take supplements, but will up on these. It is vary rare for me to get leg cramps. This was a onetime event and due to Miratzapine (SP?). A very rare but know drug reaction. It has still not healed and I had X-rays done yesterday. There are fractures in my toes, pulled ligaments, and fractures in ankle, consistent swelling and pain. After 4 months! I walk my dog every day at least a mile or two, so it has not healed. But that was the severity of the spasms and cramping. It would stop if I stood up, but the moment I lay down it started again and went on for 3 hours. I could not get ahold of my DR. Should have gone to ER, but that scares me, and more panic. Will get results of X-rays today. Will post results. On very bad days I do get some restless leg issues, and will certainly try your suggestions.

If I understood everything correctly, this was caused by him drinking too much water.
Some relief in knowing. Hope you are taking care or YOU. I would be overwhelmed. I used to travel a lot and always brought sachets of Emergen-C. Makes a fizzy with tons of electrolytes, and essential minerals. My first go to when I feel physically unwell. It goes into the blood stream very quickly. Some days I used several in all my water consumption. You can use a container that his daily ration for water and dump a few sachets in so he gets some in every glass. I get the at Trader Joe's (store near me). Every health food store carries them. They come flavored, did not like the Acacia, and there is a sugar free version, but the sugar is low and don't like the fake stuff.

For the liver issues get Milk Thistle. I get almost all my vitamin supplies through an online source. Swanson vitamins. They have everything, exceptional customer support and advise and the prices are up to 70% off. Shipping often free. They carry the Emergen-C also.

Take care Maggie

Thanks @Changeling! I think the drug you were trying to spell above is the generic for Remeron. When the neurologist prescribed it in the hospital, she said it wouldn't deplete his sodium like some other psych drugs do, would help with his tremors, and calm him down. Since the night before going in the hospital, he hasn't had anymore leg cramps. YAY! Hubby has also said we need to get him Milk Thistle for the liver. I'll check out Amazon & Swanson. I love Standard Process supplements, but the Milk Thistle is way to expensive from them!

I'm trying to take care of me... This is all just so exhausting. I see my therapist on Friday so that will definitely help.

@maggie1110 Swanson always has sales. Email today was 20% off everything on top of their already low prices. Ask customer support for the best deals they have, they will work with you. Email gets lots of offers and they are never intrusive. Glad you are taking care of you. Homeopathic (swan sons) has a formula called Environmental Defense, it helps with keeping it together from stressors on your life. Very good self defense, especially in your support role. :hug::hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back