• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Ptsd Worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny

New Here
Hi all

I am worried about an organization that claims it helps people with PTSD. My hubby has been back for six months now from Afghanistan and started to have bad flashbacks. Worried about telling his boss. He looked up places on the Internet and found and organization called PTSD WorldWide.
www 'dot' ptsdworldwide.com

At first it looks presentable. But....When my hubby called about half way into the conversation the subject of money was brought up and the cost of therapy sessions with their Counsellors. £300 for three sessions. but at the bottom in small print there is this
"Our Helpline Counsellors remain anonymous, but are a valuable part of the team"

This worried me as you do not really know who you are talking to or what qualifications they have to give the right advice. I want my hubby to get help, not made worse. I did not let on to my hubby but I went on their open forum and asked a few questions that I thought any organization putting themselves up there as offering a service for PTSD would not mind filling in the blanks too. I was met with abuse by the moderator then the posts were taken down soon after.

Since then I have learned there head of the group who is the moderator was found to have embellished his service career in the Army to the media. claiming things he was not. This has further worried me as I do not know what to say to my hubby or how to get him to seek proper advice from a more reputable organization. How can there be a "safe soldier Zone" if you cant get to the truth.

Any advice please?

Without accusation, or you able to ask him questions to maybe provoke though? Such as...

"This site looks helpful, but what if we seek out a couple more options before making a final decision? Maybe we'll even find some free sources :)"

Or - was he given materials when he returned home? I know the introductory when my brother and a few friends came back from Iraq was not very helpful, but there should have been some sort of information packet on dealing with these sorts of things when he came home.

Another source, if you have it, would be getting in touch with the support group - wives and mothers - who you were linked to while he was overseas. Maybe they have had similar situations arise and have some information to share with you.

I have found, in my experience, the best way to open an conversation in regards to this subject with either my ex boyfriend and brother is to start out by asking "May I ask you a question. The answer is very important to help me have more understanding about this particular topic." If we're in a safe place emotionally (gutt check), I'll even add in that I don't want to make him mad but do need a serious answer. If he says "no" then I can't ask. If he says "yes" then I ask. It seems to help just lay down some grounds for respect, I think, and fortunately, the only time it leads to further anger is if I ask more questions or give opinions without stating my ground and asking to be 'let in' first.

Don't know if that is helpful but good luck!!

The site is a fraudulent site then... simple as that. There are no shortages. The website claims they provide free phone services, yet if they are asking for money to provide that service, you should be reporting them to the countries appropriate bodies. They also ask for donations to keep the phone services free... which is false advertising and also if a registered business, they should not be asking for donations.

Qualifications... could not answer that, you do have the right to have them send their qualifications to you, and if they refuse, that is also grounds to report them to local authorities, as any counsellor must provide their qualifications if asked.

I am also unaware of UK business practices, however; the footer states: PTSD Worldwide. Reg 4307391. VAT 2858412941A.

Their about page then states: Founded in 2009, PTSD Worldwide is non-profit organization.

I was unaware a not for profit required to be VAT registered, as I thought non-profits did not collect or pay VAT. Could be wrong though... again, not sure about UK business registrations.

They also say, "Our Helpline Counsellors remain anonymous, but are a valuable part of the team." That is a little scary, and I would seriously talk with a UK ombudsman about this organisation, as a counsellor cannot remain anonymous by law any other country, so unsure how they claim this to be in the UK either. A counsellor must present who they are and their qualifications if asked, by law.

They could be quite legitimate, simply misguided / confusing with their presentation of information upon their website / doing some slightly dodgy things. They are definately misleading people though by stating free phone support then demanding a charge to speak with a counsellor, who they will not disclose to you as they remain anonymous. BIG WARNING signs with that one.

Thanks for the advice. I was sent this today. Looks like the guy who was running it has done a runner after he was exposed

arrse.co.uk/wiki/Alec_webster

Wh do people play with somthing like PTSD. . My hubby saw the light as well and went to a proper outfit
Thanks for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back