• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Ptsd Worsening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyJock

Confident
Hi guys!

I'm here in the hopes that I could get some advice on how to bring this up with my therapist and what you think this is or if you have any similar experiences. I have PTSD and was diagnosed in Nov.

1. Extreme mood swings; I can idolize something or someone, then completely feel the opposite. It's as if I'm two different people with completely different beliefs, memories and ways of functioning. This causes problems in relationships.
  2. Memory loss. When I dated (before my PTSD) I forgot how we met and at one point, why I even liked her and why we were even dating. This goes for jobs I apply to as well. "Why the hell am I here again?" Normally I HATE this kind of job.
  3. I pursue binge eating.
  4. Intense self-hatred. It can be as extreme as "You want an extra day of counseling, you pathetic a-hole? How about you kill yourself instead, you fat -"
  5. I sometimes walk around dissociated, not feeling like I'm in control, like "this all looks so new to me!" (the area in which I live although I clearly know the route - I'm walking it...).
Does anyone have any idea of what this is and how I should tell my therapist? I'm an adult of course -- do you think this is something that would call for hospitalization? Although I probably can deny treatment there in turn for just more counseling?

Well, directly saying it often works the best.

Your theraphist should be understanding enough to help you.

It mainly doesn't seem like need for hospitalization. Though I do suggest to move from lighter ones to heavier ones as a slow build up, so that it isn't a bam in the face to ther theraphist, also, it helps to trust the theraphist before saying major stuff, so having some previous experience on reactions can be useful.

@Muse
Now thats a good idea and one I haven't thought of, I think I might use that one myself also

Tell your therapist of these experiences you wrote down right here. Very important to share. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's PTSD getting worse (sounds like some of these symptoms were happening earlier though..?), or if it is PTSD plus other issues like a separate dissociative or personality disorder. Whatever is going on, important to keep your therapist informed of your symptoms so they can help you...or reroute some part of therapy if needed.

I have complex trauma. I've done all the standard assessments and do not have a diagnosable personality or dissociative disorder, but I do have dissociative symptoms, as well as a few of the symptoms of borderline and avoidant personality disorders. With complex trauma the symptoms can be more global like this (affecting personality, relationship patterns, dissociative tendencies, etc). Did you have one trauma or were you diagnosed based on a series of traumas or trauma from childhood? Just curious.

But #1 just tell your therapist about this. That would be the person to help you sort out what is going on and if it's all connected to your PTSD, or how you can respond.

In regards to your title question, PTSD can indeed worsen. I've had completely new symptoms pop up out of the middle of nowhere, just when I thought I was getting better. Im still waiting to see if I can get rid of the newest one.

I understand why you're concerned about your therapist hospitalizing you after meeting that wretched psychiatrist who hospitalized patients who annoyed her. Normally you'll only be hospitalized if you're an immediate threat to yourself or others. But, as we all know, sometimes psychiatrists and therapists step way over this line. They know they can abuse their power because who is going to be believed? The "crazy person" or the highly respected professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back