• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Question about false teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
I have been wanting to ask this for a while, as I have had to begin wearing an upper denture.
With some wear and tear, it doesn't fit super snug anymore. It's not loose enough to go to the expense of replacing either.

Hence the crux of my issue.
Polygrip.

Love it, works really well. Wish I started using it sooner.
The only problem is that it takes 20 mins to get enough of it out of my mouth to not have to put up a mouthful of slimy, slightly minty goo adhered to the roof of my mouth, when I take them out for bed.

Since some of you either wear them yourselves, or have worked in a care role for people who have worn dentures. What is the best, most efficient way you have learned to remove denture adhesive from gum tissue?

I looked it up and there was an online forum about removing adhesive from gums.

One person chews on a couple of orange slices. Says the citric acid helps remove it quickly. Repeat if needed.

Another person uses a dry washcloth, and says the adhesive sticks to the rag.

Someone else says take a paper towel (not toilet paper) and rubbing the roof of the mouth with pressure works.

Another says there is a powder out there you can buy and it works wonders.

I have tried the cloth and paper towel. Didn't work well for me unfortunately. Hot water makes it a bit more malleable but still a bugger to get out. Definitely didn't use toilet paper.That would be horrible. I'd have a glob of slightly minty, slimy and now fuzzy glue in my mouth. Also wiping the hole at wrong end is just seems weird. Probably wind up with a hairball too. Lmao!

I have not tried the orange slices. So I'll definitely give give that a try, I'll look for that powder as well.the powder as well.

Thanks for the suggestions @420kitty

I wear Mine 24/7 so by morning the glue just comes off with paper towels. No issue. Mine have never fit, Absolutely no suction ever. So for 17 yrs I’ve had to use glue, aka fixadent. I’ve had 3 sets. Yesterday was my first trip back to the dentist for new dentures. This guy PROMISED that the new set would fit, and that I’d have suction. I left saying to myself, “yeah sure, and pigs fly too”

I do understand the issue that you’re talking about though. If I need to take my dentures out before morning, the glue can be a bitch to get off. Tomorrow I go back to the dentist for first mold, so I will have to take them out and when I do it will probably rip some skin off doing it. OUCH!!! But after 10 yrs with this set, I’m so sick of dealing with this shit, that I don’t care.

All I can say is, try not to use as much glue, and DRY paper towels, and gently pull it off. Aren’t dentures great????? Where is the sarcasm emoji when you need one??????

Edit to add.... There used to be a soft reline that you could buy at the drugstore. You did it at home, tasted like shit, but it helped to make them fit snuggly....

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot, you can also go back to your dentist and they can do a hard re-line. They do another impression and send out your dentures. I think it takes a day or a couple of days to do. I’d rather use glue that be without my dentures, call me vain, I don’t care, but there is no way, I’m going out without my teeth, even for a few days.....NOPE not doing it!!!,

I wear Mine 24/7 so by morning the glue just comes off with paper towels. No issue.
This is very likely the reason I'm having difficulty. I don't like wearing them to bed, I find it really uncomfortable for some reason.
I probably also use too much glue. I'm always worried about accidentally knocking them loose while eating during work. If it happens, there's nothing I can do about it at 3 am, other than try to avoid having to speak to anyone. As if that were possible.

when I do it will probably rip some skin off doing it. OUCH!!!
:nailbiting:

There used to be a soft reline that you could buy at the drugstore. You did it at home, tasted like shit, but it helped
I'll add this to the list of things to try, thank you.

I’d rather use glue that be without my dentures, call me vain, I don’t care, but there is no way, I’m going out without my teeth, even for a few days.....NOPE not doing it!!!,
Me either, I guess we're both vain then.
Vanity is the only reason I'm posting anon. Going out without them? Nope!! I even put them in with some glue for a 10 minute trip to the shops.
I don't use nearly as much glue for that. Just enough so if I sneeze, I don't bite someone on the other end of the store.

I would really suggest that if you have insurance, or can afford it, I would go and have a reline done at the dentist. They can do a soft reline there too, but they can also see if there are other issues and can offer suggestions to fix the issue.

I just went for my first impression the other day and told the hygienist that I will be picky when it comes to getting the right set this time. She asked why and I told her that I’ve hated this set since the day I got them. The dentist didn’t let me have any choices, and when I did make a choice, he over road it. I’m self conscious about everything with this set, so this time around it will be different. She assured me that if they have to send them back to the lab 100 times, that it’s no problem. I almost cried. The last time was just so awful... I can’t wait to get the new ones....

Vain????? Probably, but I’ve seen so many people where I live running around with no teeth. They just don’t seem to care. Honestly, I don’t know how in the f*ck they eat anything with no teeth!!!!!!

I also carry a tube of glue with me in my pocketbook. If you’re a guy, you could always buy the really small tubes and carry it in your pocket. Please don’t lose your teeth while sneezing. They would break. Another fear I have is dropping mine!!!! OMG, I’d die if they broke!!!,

I'm missing one front tooth. I used to have a "flipper" that fit really well, and when I wore it 24/7 I got an infection under it. So, I took it out and have not worn it since. I am not vain, so I don't care. I smile with my missing tooth and folks smile back and no one says BOO! As long as I can chew my food, I will not be wearing dentures. When the time comes that I need them, I hope and pray they fit right, because this glue sounds awful! I never used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back