1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Question: Female Only Topics

Discussion in 'General' started by Terry, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

I concerned that being male if I comment on a female's post about a rape if it would make that person feel uncomfortable me being male. Iv'e seen too many victims of rape and I do really care but I don't want to make things worse.

Josh77 likes this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Terry, you're not! You commented on one of my posts and I thank you for your insight. I don't start my posts: to be answered by women only. I want honest responses, male or female. I'm not sure what others think.. but for me, it's ok, besides, I have a hard time knowing who is female or male.....I've already been corrected on a few! :redface:

4. Jet

Jet Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem. Contructive insight, whether from a male or female is helpful. Get so caught up in the stuff in my own head that sometimes all I can see is the tunnel... not the light at the end of it. Another perspective helps.
    It came as a huge surprise to me that, after everything I have been through, the one who "gets it" the one I can say anything to is a guy. Without his insight, understanding, listening ability and hugs (he was the first person to hug me when I cried....EVER) I would be curled up in a ball in my bedroom.
    Bottom line. You don't have to be a woman to care.

Jet

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Jet summed it up nice, "you don't have to be a woman to care"

Actually in my diary, before I shoved it in private, I had asked a question as I was working through my thoughts and issues and it just popped out of my cyber "mouth". I have mulipule traumas and rapes. My question may have not been able to answer because it was not touched, but it was directed at guys as it in no way could have been answered by a female at all.

I have not had any female ask me near as hard hitting questions as far as my trauma, kind of a more understanding except my female shrink who asked very blunt questions to get the diagnosis. My weekly doc was a man, Anthony a guy... 2 key people in helping me. If men kept out of it I would be so much worse than I am now.

Also, it is made more than clear addressing the PTSD is going to hurt and make you uncomfortable as we heal from our traumas. It is a simple fact. Your help and input would much needed since you have seen a lot of rape survivors...

You seem so concerned for our feelings in the matter I doubt you would say anything that would push over the edge, we already have been any way!

6. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

I think it's good that you feel comfortable enough to coment on rape. Your views give us a male perspective and even *gasp shock horror* give us a chance to learn to trust men again.

Besides, women aren't they only ones that get raped. Men get SA'd too.

7. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Very big and good point! Great job at no being as narrow minded as us and fall into the trap of not aknowledging men are assulted too!

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I agree with all off above. To be quite honest, whether male or female, if someone posted something off that nature and requested only one sex answer, I would be pretty pissed actually. Basically because of exactly what is already said above... both sex's learn from one another. This isn't an exclusive club for male or female, but PTSD; so last time I looked, all opinions matter here, and only edited if they're not valid to the thread / post topic.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I might of been looking at it from an investigators veiwpoint rather than a concerned friend.

10. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

Terry,

I'm female-- was a dispatcher (15 yrs)and a reserve police officer )3-4 yrs).
    we (in law enforcement) see & hear a lot of crap...

we also can be victims. I was molested when i was 12 yrs. I was terrified of ALL men. I go over it, but it took a long time.. I used what feelings I had felt to try to help others. I told a young girl about my situation. it helped her to open up and talk.. she had been kidnapped, cut w/ a broken beer bottle, & had escaped just before he raped her..

lucky she wasn't raped, but still tramatic that she was kidnapped, & assaulted.

had one that didn't remember being kidnapped, raped, etc
    they had drugged her. It was sick..

the things cops, firefighters, nurses, Drs, etc see just isn't very pretty. Most of the animal kingdom is nicer than humans.

Yes, men get raped, beat up, etc... it's a not so nice world... not just a women's topic....

hang in there.. vent...post... yell ... scream... cry... whatever works... we
    are here for you...

hugs...

D (wildcritter)