1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Other Question? is ptsd an auto-immune disorder relating to pain caused?

Discussion in 'Other Disorders' started by She Cat, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion, theory, or whatever for my question. Is PTSD and physical pain like an auto immune disorder related in any way???

I am just curious, because I know so many people that have PTSD and Fibromyalgia that I am wondering if there is some sort of connection. I have had PTSD for many years, and was Dx'ed with Fibromyalgia about 9 yrs ago.

I just wonder if the stress of PTSD finally takes a toll on the body, and we end up sick????:eek:

Thanks for any opinions...

She Cat

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

I'm not sure if PTSD is connected with other physical diseases, but I do know that I physically hurt all over. All y joints ache. Maybe it is just old age and arthritis but I certainly ache most of the time. So who knows? Anybody else have a comment on this

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Please click on this link, it should explain everything:

[DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread163.html[/DLMURL]

bec

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc I'm a VIP

Bec while the medical illistrations lost me right away the explanation is right on. Now I know that what I am feeling IS real. Sometimes I tend to think that all of this is a made up problems that is all in my head. Feels so good to be able to go someplace and be validated. Thank you to all of you guys who watch over us BIG THANX HERC

6. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:thumbs-up Thanks guys!!!! This is more stuff that I can share with my psychodoc to see if he's aware of the "brain" and "body" connections that occur in a person with PTSD!!!!! In the past I've taken two quarters of A&P so I'm aware of what the illustrations show.....they refresh my memory a lot.....So guys you helped me out without even planning it!!!!! Way COOL!!!!! .......PEACE FOR THE PLANET

7. She Cat

Thanks for the article... Although it went a little over my head, I did grasp some of it. So I gather that the Migraines, IBS, arthritis, Fibro, and all the other aches and pains could be due to prolonged trauma.

If this is true, I find it amazing that even though my trauma was almost 40 yrs ago that the body can respond to it in a negative way years later.

Kind of wish that when I say that I am "Brain Dead" that I really was, that way I wouldn't be in so much pain all the time...LOL!!!

I am so glad that this board is so open to discussion, about ALL of the aspects to PTSD..

Thanks for the help.

She Cat

8. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Definitely. Stress causes illness. PTSD is post traumatic STRESS disorder. I have chronic IBS, migraines, nausea due to stress. Good luck.

9. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Stress effects everything. I also was given the label of fibromyalgia; however I disregard it. All it is is stress. The stress stays in our bodies and causing all sorts of issues ending in pain. I think most of us suffer the usuall symptoms of migraines, IBS, body pains from our PTSD. It's very normal for us.

bec

From Wikpedia:
    Stress Studies have shown that stress is a significant precipitating factor in the development of fibromyalgia and that PTSD is linked with fibromyalgia. The Amital study found that 49% of PTSD patients fulfilled the criteria for FMS, compared with none of the controls.

10. She Cat

Bev,

My god this site is amazing, and so are all of you guys..... I have only been here a few days and I can't believe the info that has been given....

Thanks again for everything.......

She Cat

11. Monarch

Monarch I'm a VIP Premium Member

how can I be OK with continuing life when all I see is a life of pain, PTSD is the gift that keeps on giving.

12. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:cuckoo: My sentiments exactly many a time....I think that's the hardest thing for me at times.....Sometimes I don't know how I keep going.....Just do....maybe that's the Miracle of Life.....GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

13. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

My therapist has said this same quote many times. And it is so true.

Because there is more to life than just the pain. If all we saw was pain, then that would be all we knew and we wouldn't be here working and striving for something better. We'd have nothing to compare our worst points to. How can you work for something different if you know no different? Obviously all of us have been happy, have felt good about life and have felt good about ourselves in some way, shape or form in the past because we're fighting to get back there.

I read again and again here 'short term pain for long term gain'. When I was dealing with my traumas, I mean really pulling and digging, I felt horrible. I was in constant physical, mental and emotional pain. I felt like crawlig into a hole and staying there. I kept pushing and pushing because I trusted the ones that are here that had been where I was at that point who said, 'You can do it. It will hurt like hell, but you can do it.' I know I have a ways to go, but it's more along the lines of maintenance for what I have done and learned. A fine tuning for me and my family to learn to to live with PTSD. I know I have dealt with so much stuff and the worst part for me is over. I have proven to myself that it can be done.

There's a commercial for hair color in which the catch phrase is 'Because I'm worth it'. I don't know how many times when I was going through rough patches and wanted to just quit that I would tell myself to keep going 'because I was worth it'. Sounds corny, but it worked. Reminding myself that I was worth going through the pain and the hurt of dealing with my traumas. That's some powerful stuff. My family, my friends and people I care about all figured into the picture, but the biggest part was for me. Maybe it was self-love, maybe it was self-preservation, maybe it was wanting to get away from the pain and back to a better place. Maybe all three. I don't know. But I do know that I had to make the decision to fight for me.

Lisa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar