• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Supporter Quick Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden

New Here
Quick intro here - I'm in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend who has PTSD and TBI sustained from combat during his 20 years in the military.

Despite being a Psychologist - the non clinical type - and having some understanding of PTSD and mental health issues, these forums have been extremely educational, insightful and a massive learning curve.

Welcome, Hayden! It's a huge field. Lots of disciplines & specialties. My sis studies psychopathy i&ii. I'm super happy my own set of issues aren't in her wheelhouse. Easier to be friends, at the very least, no temptation to blur boundaries. Also, the obvious. ;)

@Hayden Welcome to the forum!

In your search for understanding and ways to be helpful/supportive, don't forget about yourself. You will also need support regardless of how much "understanding" as PTSD and TBI cause unique strains on a relationship.

HI Hayden.

yup - the glaring difference between understanding something on an intellectual level and the visceral kick in the guts you get when it's you that's involved.

My mother is a clinical psychologist who specialized for many years in working with adult survivors of child sexual abuse. My father is a combat PTSD sufferer. Stable relationship? Hell no!

I thought I knew what PTSD was and how to cope with it because I grew up with it. My current partner has combat PTSD. Whole different ball game being the partner rather than the child in the dynamic.

Welcome to the forum!

yup - the glaring difference between understanding something on an intellectual level and the visceral kick in the guts you get when it's you that's involved.

@Sighs couldn't have said it better myself!

I thought understanding it at an intellectual level would make it easier...I guess not.

Welcome, @Hayden. Yes, I think we all end up getting surprised by that (intellectual) knowing vs. (accepting) knowing. It's tough - and likely a little tougher for you because you have the background you have.

Anyway, glad you're here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back