• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Quiet: The Power Of Introverts In A World That Can't Stop Talking

Status
Not open for further replies.

a3a2

MyPTSD Pro
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

At least one-third of the people we know are introverts. They are the ones who prefer listening to speaking, reading to partying; who innovate and create but dislike self-promotion; who favor working on their own over brainstorming in teams. Although they are often labeled "quiet," it is to introverts that we owe many of the great contributions to society--from van Gogh’s sunflowers to the invention of the personal computer.

Passionately argued, impressively researched, and filled with indelible stories of real people, Quiet shows how dramatically we undervalue introverts, and how much we lose in doing so. Taking the reader on a journey from Dale Carnegie’s birthplace to Harvard Business School, from a Tony Robbins seminar to an evangelical megachurch, Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts.

Perhaps most inspiring, she introduces us to successful introverts--from a witty, high-octane public speaker who recharges in solitude after his talks, to a record-breaking salesman who quietly taps into the power of questions. Finally, she offers invaluable advice on everything from how to better negotiate differences in introvert-extrovert relationships to how to empower an introverted child to when it makes sense to be a "pretend extrovert."

My Views:

I have just begun reading a book called "Quiet" by Susan Cain. It was a book recommended to me by my t, since I am often disappointed in my introverted personality (as are my parents). Though I have only read a few pages, I am captivated by it.

The very first page addresses the adventure of an introvert who changed history (one of my heroes), Rosa Parks. The author points out how the two personality types compliment each other, and yet, for some reason, the introverted personality is often looked on as being less desirable.

I would love if someone else could pick up "Quiet" and discuss it with me. Any takers?

I've had my family and people think I'm just being stand offish or snobby for being quiet. I just really like listening and tend to attract people who talk a lot, which I guess is a good fit.:D My mother accepts me for being quiet, but at the same time, she has said stuff like "Your just jealous because I'm gregarious":rolleyes: Um...nooooo.:laugh:

I would like to read this. If it can be downloaded that would be good too.

Philippa, you can download the ebook from amazon or other various places. :-) I would share mine with you, but I don't know how this site feels about sharing copyrighted material.. Just make sure that you have some sort of ebook file reader on your computer - I use calibre. The kindle reader works too, if you're going to get it from amazon.

I downloaded this morning - starting reading now, a3a2!

I've read the first part, with Rosa Parks and the test and everything. It's really interesting so far! It makes me feel slightly less ashamed of who I am. I remember a time when I was young, maybe 4 years old, and my mother told my preschool teachers that I was "shy". I remember immediately protesting and saying that I wasn't shy, I was just "quiet". Then all of the adults laughed at me and told me it was the same thing. :rolleyes:
What do you guys think so far? What did you get on the quiz? I answered 15/20 True.

I didn't get to the quiz yet. But I remember that I was very outgoing as a young child. I wonder if it's my trauma that changed who I am? Hmmm...something to think about. Hopefully this book will help!

OK, just did the quiz. I got 19 out of 20!

The answer key was a little confusing though.

I'm thinking now that being outgoing until I was 7 or so was just because I was still feeling safe and exploring who I was.

OK, If I had to go to that Anthony Robbins seminar:

1. I would have had a panic attack and RUN as soon as they said 11 hours with no break!
2. IF I made it into the room, I would have Panicked and run when the greeter tried to make me give a high 5
3-10... Don't even want to think about what would have happened when the music and dancing started!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back