• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Quitting a Career Because of PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietman

New Here
i just quit an 8.5 year career with a police department behind PTSD, and complete lack of support by my department. i hope others i worked with, and in similar situations can leave before they do something they should not

Welcome quietman... nice to have you here with us. I don't really know what to say! Shit... I suppose you made the decision that was right for you under the circumstances you where within. Yes, I did the same thing, leaving the military before I ended up killing someone... when I felt more at home on operations and within war zones than I did with my family and Australia as a whole, I knew shit was seriously wrong.

I must say that the military was very good with me, but that was merely because I was a SGT. I have seen privates and corporals get dragged over every coal that was hot because they suffered PTSD from serving their country. They were treated like absolute shit because of their rank... basically, because they weren't a senior in rank, then the military perception was that they weren't trustworth or something. I don't know if the police have similar circumstances to thinking as the military environment or not... I guess you could answer that one though.

What I know, is that it was a tough decision for you, as I know it was for me, because I loved doing what I did, though the Army itself was getting fairly soft, I loved doing what I did.

So what now? Do you have plans, aspirations... or is it a medical sit in silence for a couple of years to piece yourself back together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back