1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Acts Of Inattention

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by faraway, Nov 27, 2012.

1. faraway

faraway New Member

I just managed to shatter the main door of my oven (as in, not the inner glass) by somehow managing to set fire to a fire retardant oven glove that was hanging over the handle. It somehow caught fire as the oven was cooling down?!! Not only did it shatter the oven door, but part of the burning fabric fell down onto the floor and burnt the linoleum.

I am so annoyed at not noticing the thick smoke (and stench) billowing into my living room - it took my cat sat in a strategic spot, looking back and forth between me and the kitchen, with a worried look on his face to make me notice. I'm also annoyed at myself for taking out the battery to my smoke alarm because it was too sensitive. :banghead:

Quite amazing really. Well, it would be if I didn't have to pay for all this damage I have caused.

Anyway, what random acts of inattention have you performed? I need empathy!!! ;)
  2. Nighthawlk

Nighthawlk VIP Member Premium Member

Oh wow I think it's official you are a VIP member of the clumsy club.:rolleyes:

I do stuff all the time. Like yesterday I managed to trip over the same spot of air at least 4 times imaging there was something there. I also hit the stove with one hand at 475 degrees and not that I did not feel it I managed to do it one second later to the other hand.:banghead: I think auto pilot can be very dangerous.
  3. faraway

faraway New Member

Thank you for making me feel less alone. :p I'm quite good at tripping over thin air too. DOH!

I feel like such a numpty. I just stood there looking at the fire like, "errrrrrr, fire?" I used to be a much more together kinda gal! :oops:
  4. Medic72

Medic72 VIP Member

I burned a bagel in the toaster this morning because I was doing too much at once. As the smoke alarm started screaming, I covered my ears and cowered, then started moving back and forth like a hyper puppy not sure what to do.

Hubby finally yelled at me to turn on the fan. Duh.
  5. Mary Black

Mary Black New Member

Earlier this term when I was still in classes, I rode my bike all the way to school before I realized I didn't have my backpack or even my bike lock. It was a half hour ride either way so I had to miss class that day as a result. I mostly am on autopilot to some degree these days and it scares me.
  6. Abstract

Abstract VIP Member Premium Member

You are not alone! I do weird things like have left the stove on with empty pan on it in the morning and for the whole day. How I did not burn the place down I dont know. :rolleyes: The same day I managed to leave the front door open. It was actually slightly ajar the whole day.

Friends hide their good glasses when I come over for drinks too. :oops:

I have a habit of walking around indoors still sheltering myself with my umbrella. :sleep:

The list goes on and on indefinitely. Sadly my FOO was not very kind at all about things like this.

Just a thought - we are normal in context of each other!! :D;)
  7. Mary Black

Mary Black New Member

Ah yeah--I walk around with my umbrella open long after it has stopped raining. It's so embarrassing.
  8. Abstract

Mary:inlove:

I actually walked down the isle in Marks and Spencer again the other day and only realised I had my umbrella up when I wanted to pick something off the shelf and realised both hands were occupied. :D This is something I seem to do on occasion.:alien:
  9. Mary Black

Mary Black New Member

It is good that we can laugh at this things in retrospect. :laugh: This makes my evening a little less dreary. :)
  10. faraway

faraway New Member

Okay, now *this* is priceless! :D

I've definitely done that before! It was so annoying because uni was a 40min cycle from home. Luckily my partner then was a cycle courier, so he'd usually be able to find me a spare lock from somewhere.

Good to know I'm not alone with the stupidity - thanks guys! :laugh:
  11. Britt.f7

Britt.f7 VIP Member Premium Member

I've been known to put things that belong in the cupboard into the freezer or fridge and visa versa. Sometimes we catch it and sometimes not until it is way too late to salvage anything. :rolleyes:
  12. Nadia

Nadia Wish I could say all the things that I should say Premium Member

I forgot to buy my monthly ticket for using the underground/metro and noticed it 2 weeks into the month, having been riding a long the whole time (luckily I didn't get caught for those two weeks.) And then on Wednesday I was distracted by a rude secretary and completely forgot to stamp the ticket I had just bought, (because I still had no card for November.) And "LUCKILY" exactly on that day, and that ride, I was caught by the ticket controller and fined 40 Euros. :rolleyes::banghead::rolleyes:

I explained to him how forgetful I am, but it didn't seem to impress him... :oops:
  13. faraway

faraway New Member

I don't know where you live, Nadia, but be grateful you don't live somewhere like London. No pennies on your Oyster card? No travel! Was your fine greater or lesser than your "free" travel?
  14. Nadia

I live in Germany. Normally there is no checking of tickets at the entrance, just randomly on the trains... so you have to have a valid ticket at all times, and if you are checked and caught, then you are fined. Yeah, the fine is bigger than the rides. Well, its done now. :rolleyes:

I almost had a panic attack, when he said I needed an ID or he would call the police. I don't have an ID because only germans get their personal ID, but I'm not German so I only have my passport and I don't want to carry that around. Well, luckily, he figured I was not trying to trick him... and believed me I would transfer the money.
  15. faraway

faraway New Member

You're lucky! Sounds like you got a good guard. :)
  16. JustBe

JustBe No longer a leaf in the wind Premium Member

The other day I picked up my son to take him to work and then drove to the store and once we were inside he said "Mom, we were going to my work, right?"

I didn't even know why I drove to the store instead of his work!

Stuff like that happens all the time! Thank goodness for Kira who snaps me out of it most times.
  17. intothelight

intothelight Totally Quackers Duck Staff Member Premium Member

I intend to drive to the store or somewhere else, but always end up heading towards the office. If I don't have someone in the car to remind me that I am going the wrong way, I can get almost halfway there before I realize what I am doing. :rolleyes:
  18. faraway

faraway New Member

I do that to sometimes, intothelight and Movin'On. Not too often though. Although I do find myself in rooms of my flat thinking, "why am I in here again?" :/
  19. stenni

stenni Well-Known Member

My most random was putting coal in the washing machine instead of the boiler . Both metal boxes on the east external wall of the house. Just in different rooms.

Currently I leave my favourite mug in strange places- in the airing cupboard, in a hanging basket, in the dog's bed....

If anyone has seen a wide, bright blue mug, please send it home!
  20. Zef

Zef Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've never heard this term before, but I love it.
  21. faraway

faraway New Member

22. Nadia

I guess that is the benefit of only having one room to lose oneself in... :hilarious:
  23. intothelight

intothelight Totally Quackers Duck Staff Member Premium Member

Forgetting to turn off interior car lights and then wondering why it won't start the next morning.
  24. faraway

faraway New Member

I would SO have that problem if my car didn't go BEEPBEEPBEEP when I open the door without turning the lights off!
  25. Abstract

Running a bath is always a hit and miss thing for me. :rolleyes: I drive my H mad. If he did not turn off the water I would probably always end up flooding the place. Time is a very unreliable concept isn't?! ;)