• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Raped By My Brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth Seeker

New Here
Hi, basically I'm here to find out how to deal with flashbacks and dissociation.

I was raped before I hit puberty, and for much of my life I've had depression. Even though my memories of the event(s?) are fuzzy at best, I eventually realized that was the root cause. Due to counseling and extensive restructuring of my thoughts and personality, I haven't had to deal with depression for 5 years now.

But for almost a year I've had guilt feelings and memories resurface every month on my period. I thought I had conquered most of it, so every month I've been reading about what adult survivors experience.

I've found I have almost every symptom of ptsd: flashbacks, dissociation, hypervigilance, memory impairment, avoiding stimuli, basically everything except nightmares and substance abuse. Most everything I've read on this site feels familiar to me.

I've had these symptoms for years, but I never knew what they were, or that it happens to other people. I thought only soldiers got ptsd. It's a relief to know what it is, but I'm also a little scared.

I'm getting married in a few months, and my fiance knows about my problem and is very supportive, but I'm afraid this disorder will make bad problems for us.

Since I have a lot of expenses staring me down, I can't go to a therapist or take medicine. Besides, I've already done a lot healing without their help.

I will get through this. I'm ready for round two. Alyssa 1, mental problems 0.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

I am sorry you went through that, you are not alone anymore. There is a lot of support and help on this forum from people who have been through the same thing.

I know you said you can't see a therapist right now, but getting the correct diagnoses to your problem is a big deal. And would greatly aid you in your healing. Glad you have done some healing already, that's great and good for you!

Take care of yourself.

Thanks Ayesha. I discovered this website a few days ago, and some of the posts you wrote were really helpful. So I appreciate when people are able to open up their feelings, even painful ones, because you never know who it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back