• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Rapid resolution therapy/hypnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a new therapist yesterday and she wants to try RRT. In all my research on therapy I had never heard of this. I'm skeptical but the PTSD is supposed to resolve itself in one session. That sounds too easy. She said there isn't any reliving anything and it's easy and fun. Have you heard of this? I can't find much online that isn't from a source that provides/sells this therapy so my BS meter is wobbling a bit. I have no idea what happens in this kind of treatment session..

The other thing that concerns me is that there are things that I'd really like to try to remember from my sexual assault but this treatment doesn't go into any detail, so even if it did get rid of my immediate physical symptoms I would still have unanswered questions. After 30 years I'm finally ready and actually wanting to talk about it for some reason so this makes me wonder if it would be better to do PE.

I'm going to give it a go next week and will report back. I figure I have nothing to lose except a co-pay, right? I really really liked my new T otherwise.

I saw a new therapist yesterday and she wants to try RRT. In all my research on therapy I had n...
I would be extremely leary of any type of hypnosis with PTSD. I had an extremely bad experience of a dr who tweaked methods. I also initially liked her, but was vulnerable and desperate for help. She caused a lot of damage. Please be extremely cautious and find out if there is anything that backs up these methods.

I would be extremely leary of any type of hypnosis with PTSD.
Absolutely.

Hypnosis used correctly as nothing more than a meditative state to help ease the conversation flow for therapeutic effectiveness, sure. Hypnosis as an attempt to manipulate your memories, to right distortions or such, claiming a single session or even several can fix you all up, ALL BAD with trauma.

Saying that, no studies show any improvement by adding hypnosis to trauma therapy. Unlike MDMA studies by MAPS, which are adding a very clear 20% success to the average trauma process, taking most methods from 60% to 80% effective. That one is a game changer. Hypnosis is not proven to improve anything as a relaxation technique in therapy.

Ugh... thank you for your responses! I really appreciate it and will arm myself with this info. I had done a bit of research before I went but never heard of what she was talking about so that was an immediate flag. I went there expecting PE or something along those lines and was ready to do the grueling work of processing. And nowhere, even on the inventor's website does it mention what actually happens in these sessions.

You have a HELLUVA lot more to lose than a copay! It's possible that you could be thrown into a highly symptomatic state by this snake oil salesman.

Run. FAST.

And nowhere, even on the inventor's website does it mention what actually happens in these sessions.
That is the problem. Well done for researching. There are many techniques people create, all of which are based on existing modalities which they tweak and call some random name for their own stamp -- to say -- "this is my version, not just x." Most are harmless and just as good as the untouched techniques method. Some are not, especially when you get the naturopathic / religious type person, start manipulating techniques heavily and making claims that just can't be backed by a study.

There are no qualitative studies for RRT, let alone its claimed effectiveness. That is usually the first sign something is amiss.

Someone who says they can relieve PTSD in one session is either gullible themselves or manipulative.

I've come across several well meaning people making impossible claims for a technique because they have paid thousands for "training" and are caught in a Ponzi situation without realising it. They can't bring themselves to understand they've been defrauded, so they unwittingly defraud others.

The placebo/relational effect helps some of their clients, others say nice things out of pity or misplaced friendship, but most will pay the money and walk away disillusioned, in a worse state than before, because they realise they've been ripped off.

Hi, I just came across this thread while researching RRT and wondered if you followed up on your appointment? I've recently completed two sessions myself, after several years of traditional therapy did 0% to help me with emotional reactivity to both memories and current events. I felt like I was getting worse, not better, and now I have a sense that something might really be working for me. I realize that there is little to no peer reviewed research on this, but the anecdotal evidence is quite strong, and it was the only adjunct therapy suggested by my hard nosed traditional analytic therapist. As far as the hypnosis aspect is concerned, it is not hypnosis in the classical sense, there is no need or request to relive the painful experience or associated emotions. If all you have to lose is a copay I'd say your risking very little. After half a lifetime of seeking help through traditional mental health approaches and not finding anything beyond situational relief, I'm a big fan of looking outside the box for solutions.

Hi Damien! Actually I was a huge skeptic and thought it was a load of BS but I tried it and surprisingly it really seemed to work well. I was relieved of the PTSD symptoms other than the intrusive thoughts but there wasn’t that horrible physical reaction anymore. I never thought it would work so well. However, it started to come back little by little a few months later and then went back to full-blown after being triggered by the anniversary date. I went back to my T and she said I was the first one who ever had to come back after that. She wanted to give it another go since it had worked but I really needed to talk about what happened. I’d been holding it in for 30 years and I didn’t want to avoid processing it anymore. That actually worked better for me because she has had some amazing insights that really helped, but for the immediate physical symptoms? I have to say it worked. Even though it was temporary for me it was still a remarkable remission.

I think if it’s working for you, believe in it. Even if it was just a placebo effect (which would be strange for me considering how much I thought it was a scam before I tried it) it made a difference for a couple of months. Not bad for one copay!

I hope you continue to progress!!

Everything is worth a go... its just the shonky claims and nonsense that goes on -- is the issue. I doubt you're the first person to have symptoms return as the therapist claims. PTSD is not created equal, and such would only hold true if a therapist only treated those just meeting criterion and thus are highly likely to be effectively treated. Those with severe trauma... PTSD must be managed and becomes a lifetime job. Trauma can be healed regardless.

Many therapies do not require reliving of trauma... but if the traumatic past itself is consistently causing the present issue, then at some point you're going to have to talk about it to resolve the thoughts causing present tense problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back