• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Reaction v disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mee

MyPTSD Pro
disorders facebook friend learned of my ptsd today and said he too had it but he suggested reframing it as PTSReaction. Using the word change as an acceptance that I am.not disordered but reactive to a bad situation.

An interesting idea.

I am finding words increasingly useful tools in explaining things to my partner; the definitions not mine. Or exploring with my therspist, whether or not I like it all.

No: he was suggesting compassion to self. We talked a little that I find my therapy brilliant and he also suggested some books that helped him:).

I think it’s an interesting idea that it’s avoidance. I don’t see it that way. :).

I see it as him saying it’s not ‘shameful’ or ‘a failure’ to react to a horrific circumstance. ( not that it doesn’t need addressing or support)

Well...

You’re very literally avoiding calling PTSD by its name. Even going so far as to call it a different thing entirely. And one step beyond that, calling it a thing (stress reaction) that means something else entirely. So less like calling rape “that one time”, and more like calling it “hugs”. But both versions are avoidance. One is just more severe than the other.

Why? To avoid feeling guilt & shame.

Which has somehow attached itself to a word (disorder) that has nothing to be ashamed of. (Unless you also think eye disorders, or blood disorders, etc., are also somehow shameful?)

Well...

You’re very literally avoiding calling PTSD by its name. Even going so far as to call it a di...

Ok. I can see this semantics is triggering for you :).

For me it’s useful to play with.

I have congenital disorders. They are not my fault but they are also something I am stuck with , something broken, something not created by a situation:).

For me playing with the Samantics If reaction is interesting because this is something different.

As for name of it: it’s something decided. I am not arguing it’s changed I am saying this suggestion for me, offers a semantic tool to play with that offers some thought experiment.

I do not suggest for a moment it’s useful to all :)

I'm wondering is it like saying "what HAPPENED to you?" rather than "what is WRONG with you?"....?[/QU...

Yes. This.

Ultimately it doesn’t change what it is. But it allows a little reframe.

One of my emotional blocks is I cannot find anger over situation; injustice, tremendous sadness, Fear, anxiety, panic ( although I am doing well with panic: no panic attacks for two weeks :)) . My therapist is really keen for me to find anger with the people involved and less self blame. ( why didn’t I identify situation type thoughts and ways I let my self down my putting my self in the position it could happen and ways other people were hurt and I could have stopped that or added to it)

By saying reaction; I am reacting to something that happened; it might enable anger more which my therapist feels is very necessary.

But the disorder is in the reaction.

You can reframe all you want, but you can’t change this simple truth.

If you don’t want the disorder.....as in no disorder, then you are just fine....tell your therapist, quit therapy, tell your psychiatrist, quit your meds, and go on your merry way.

Because after all, you have no disorder. You are perfectly fine.

<I hope you understand my sarcasm>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back