• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Recently Diagnosed With PTSD - Mother Murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.

julie

New Here
Hi everyone,
Well, this is hard for me to write. For the last 18 years always dx with depression. recently went and saw a psychiatrist who dx me with ptsd because of my history. my mom was murdered 18 years ago by a family member. he poured gasoline in my house and set it on fire. i was able to get out of the house without any injuries but unofrtunately my mom wasnt so lucky. i have never been right after that. I am not sure of this dx and I guess I am just looking for some support. Noone has ever even brought this up to me before. Is it possible for me to really have ptsd after all of these years???

Welcome to the forum and yes. I am going to move this to intro for you. I hope we can help help you here.

Julie,
28 years later here I am. Welcome. I just joined today and already I feel I am among my own kind for the first time in a long time.

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that such an event occurred to you. Yep, it most certainly is possible though; PTSD is a slow progressive change within life. Often if you think back, you may find a period even when you went to rock bottom, fought your way back up, suppressed everything with alcohol, cigarettes if you smoke, drugs even, then ran a little smoother for a while. Now, here you are, when PTSD finally built enough strength to pretty much wipe you out, and make you take notice that it exists. There is little chance of getting PTSD wrong after such a time, as they symptoms are well and truly set in.

Was it just the two of you in the house Julie? What happened to the family member that did this... they in jail for murder? Why did they do this?

Hi Julie, welcome to the forum. Take a little comfort in knowing that you have a support group here.. no judging.. just people living with the same thing and helping each other through it, day by day. :redface:

Hi everyone,
Thanks for responding to my post.
It is nice that there are other people out there with problems similar to mine. This is so hard to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back