• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Regressed To A Childlike State In Therapy, And I Feel Embarrassed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Young Journo

I'm a fully mature adult. I have a pretty good job for my state in my career. I'm by all means, quite successful. I have c trauma. I had a session yesterday where I regressed to a young child. I got really mad at my T, it was almost infantile, I couldn't even talk. He told me it was part of the process, not to worry. I feel so embarrassed about it now.

Hey
I have this same problem and I am in my 30's!
Most times in therapy I feel like I regress to a child and struggle to talk etc. It is really embarrassing and frustrating. But I guess its the child in me that never got a chance to talk back when my abuse happened and therapy is a safe place for young me to be.
Your T has said not to worry so trust his word and try not to worry :)

Young Journo, I agree with mrsps. Therapy is the place where you can be the kid you were and deal with what happened to you. That is entirely appropriate and healthy. Best wishes to you!

Hi,

I do that every week and I don't remember, so much that my therapist has to e-mail me the notes so I have some idea what's going on. I feel terrible and useless, but she tells me that it's ok and it will get better. I know how you feel as I feel the same, but I just try and trust what she says and I just turn up and whatever happens happens and my put myself in her trust for the session. I felt so bad the first few times it happened but I think if I'm safe it's better to happen there than somewhere else. I hope you feel a bit better knowing you are not the only one this happens to. I'm self employed own a business, A Nana it happens to all of us.

Take care

Sammy

Felt the same as you last year Young Journo. The psychologist said '' you've spoken out against her, you've said' this is what happened, this is what she did, this is what she's done to me'.. . That's not that scared eight year old, you know? '' these words made me feel slightly better.

Try not to worry, it happens to many of us, the human mind is so frustrating.

I also do the same. In fact I quit with my last T partly for this reason as I felt it was moreso associated with my feelings of transference toward her. But now after about only 2 months seeing my new T, I'm right back there. It's so uncomfortable feeling like this when it is a fear-inducing state. I know both my T's echo yours with 'it's all part of the process we just have to work through'. But it makes me become really angry toward the end of the session because I feel this immature child part is wasting the session. But I realise that child part is now acting out where it feels safe to do so. I don't know how long this will take to work through or if it comes and goes but I hope you can work through these uncomfortable emotions with your T.

Be gentle and take time with it.

Psychologist also said it was a pretty huge step forward that I had disclosed a little of the sexual abuse. You could try looking at it that way, I. Think it is a massive step forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I guess its the child in me that never got a chance to talk back when my abuse happened and therapy is a safe place for young me to be.
I think this is a major point of therapy. Repatterning the brain to recognize that 'if you had been safe', this is what you would have 'said', 'did', 'acted like', 'allowed', responded like'. It gets us out of unhealthy grooves in the brain and repeating patterns.

Seriously, you did good!

I've totally done this. In fact, I don't want to go for my appointment this week because I'm so so so embarrassed at how I acted last week .... (Which was totally child-like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back