1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Relieved To Be Here - Complex PTSD Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by kers, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Hi all. I was recently diagnosed with PTSD (complex, I suppose). I went into therapy for a bad bout with depression after my dad passed away. After we took care of the depression, my other problems became apparent, things I'd always just dismissed as my own screwed up-ness.

My T has been gently pointing out the dissociation, flashbacks, fear of anger, startling, etc. While it's scary to accept the diagnosis, it is also a great relief to have a name and a reason for these things. It makes me feel less irreversibly messed up.

Now I am working on telling my counsellor what happened (verbal and physical stuff at home, mostly by my brother, which I have a hard time seeing as anything but sibling rivalry). It's funny, in a not ha-ha way, because when I left home ten years ago I kind of wondered whether what I was experiencing was PTSD. I thought what I'd experienced wasn't "bad" enough, and dismissed it. I've had a very hard ten years! I do feel hopeful about dealing with this and reducing the hold the symptoms and the memories have on me.

I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I am impressed by all the compassion, caring, and understanding. Thanks for being here!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi Kers and welcome.

We are a good lot (If I say so myself) and I'm sure once you start posting you will get more comfortable as you do. Welcome aboard!

bec

4. splost76

splost76 Sleep Management Editor

Kers,
    Welcome, this is a great, loving place, where people like us, do care. You found a great place.
    Shane

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi kers, welcome aboard and glad you joined. Look forward to catching up more with you.

6. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

Hey kers, welcome.
    cathy

7. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Hi Kers, welcome!

8. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

Hey Kers, welcome and lots of hugs

9. kers

kers I'm a VIP