1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Remembrance Day & Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Social' started by hodge, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

It's November 11 in Australia and the UK, under six hours away in the US and Canada...

Remembering the fallen and thanking all who have served and sacrificed.

suzie q, helena, Paloma and 1 other person like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Three hours away here in Newfoundland. Canadians also celebrate Remembrance Day. Thank you for starting this thread Hodge, many people in my family have lost their lives (or had them ruined !) in the service of their country. Tomorrow I'm going to a military ceremony with my family, it will be the first time I have done so since I ran off in 2001, so it should be very emotional for me.

4. hodge

Yes, it's Remembrance Day in Australia, Canada, and the UK (which is like the US Memorial Day) and Veterans Day in the US. I think it's still called Armistice Day in some other countries, particularly on the Continent.

5. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Yeah I think it's called Armistice Day in France, and it's called Remembrance Day in the British Commonwealth of Nations. Whatever it's called though, it's a very important day that should not be forgotten or overlooked.

6. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Today I extend appreciation to everyone who has served, however especially the forum members who are veterans, and also all my family members - my sons, my husband, and extended family.

Paloma likes this.
  7. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Veteran's Day...Remembrance Day. For both of them, thanks to everyone who served, who stood up and made a difference.

Lisa

Paloma likes this.
  8. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

To all that have served, or are serving.....Thank You!!!!!

helena, Manic11 and Paloma like this.
  9. do the yanks celebrate rememberence day? but they hardly participated in the war

10. hodge

Um, yeah, in fact, the "yanks" did participate in World War I to, I would assert, a rather significant extent. Nearly 5 million Americans served in WWI; more than 116,000 Americans died in that war. The U.S. Veterans Day is on November 11 in remembrance of the armistice! I could direct you to any number of history books, but somehow I'm getting the feeling that's not what you're looking for.

helena and Paloma like this.
  11. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

You are right hodge and thank you for not stooping to this level this person has today. I hope it is under control now. Again thank you for your self control you displayed. You did awesome. (helluva a lot nicer than I would of been but I edit bias out right?)

12. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Yes of course the United States participated in WWI !! However, whilst the origin of Remembrance Day began with WWI, it has now extended to include all the other wars since. The actual point of the day is to remember and honour all veterans of all wars. It is quite insulting to pick and choose who "deserves" to be remembered and who does not.

Paloma likes this.
  13. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I've been thinking about this thread...

I have to say, I generally stay out of "thank you for serving our country" threads as I have a tough time saying it. This damn day comes right on the heels of my anniversary of the night I was almost choked to death, trying to get my son and I out of harms way, by a military man. Even though I know it's not everyone in the military that is a psychotic nut, I don't particularly like any military.

Even with all that, to purposefully "diss" any country's military is.. well... rude. These people, fought and died for each country's freedoms and laws.. even I have to appreciate that, as the common person would not do any such thing.

I just think it's shameful is all..

bec

Paloma likes this.