1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Research study looking at traumatic stress symptoms and sleep disturbances

Discussion in 'Studies & Research' started by StephanieLee, Aug 1, 2017.

1. StephanieLee

StephanieLee New Member

Hello everyone,

I am currently completing a research study to fulfill the requirements of a Graduate Diploma in Psychology (Advanced). It is an online survey, which will take around 15 minutes to complete, looking at traumatic stress symptoms and sleep disturbances. To be eligible to participate in this study, you must be over 18 years of age, have been exposed to a potentially traumatic event in your lifetime and have been experiencing sleep difficulties for at least the past month.

Participating in this study is entirely voluntary and you can withdraw at any time without reason or consequence. The study has received ethics approval from the Monash University Human Research Ethics Committee. All responses are entirely anonymous. If you meet the requirements or know someone who does, and would like to take part in this study you can access the online survey through the following link:
    https://monash.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_03vpnHEB6Po9vGl

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or would like to know any more information.

Thank you so much for your time, it is greatly appreciated!
    Steph

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
    Sietz and EveHarrington like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

Exposure to a potentially traumatic event is incredibly vague.

For some people, getting dumped is traumatic.

Data from these people would render your findings useless IMHO for application to those with serious life threatening/sexual trauma.

Joan likes this.
  4. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

@EveHarrington I would suspect they're studying the effects of trauma & stressors on sleep, rather than the effects of PTSD on sleep, or sleep on PTSD. Squares & rectangles.

5. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

My statement still stands.

A breakup is "traumatic" to some but really a yawn-non-trauma. Including that data would provide bad results.

6. StephanieLee

StephanieLee New Member

@EveHarrington That would be my mistake in how I have described the study in my initial post. Yes, it is looking at the effects of trauma on sleep, however there is a screening question in the survey for the traumatic event experienced. The survey itself and the description is definitely more specific e.g. assesses severity of traumatic stress symptoms

7. joeylittle

joeylittle ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ All howl, no bite Administrator Generous $250+

8. StephanieLee

StephanieLee New Member

@joeylittle - Not a problem, thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

joeylittle likes this.
Show Sidebar