1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Residential Treatment Programs For PTSD

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Kathy, Jul 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on residential treatment programs for PTSD. Not a psychiatric hospital per se, but rather something along the lines of a drug rehab program, except for trauma. Evie's former psychiatrist, who specializes in trauma, recommended a couple of private facilities to us. The one we are especially considering primarily makes use of behaviour and cognitive therapies, and specializes in treating patients who have serious physical illnesses as well as PTSD (which Evie most definitely does). The treatment program is for a duration of 3 months and there is some family involvement as well. Finances are not an issue for us. Jim and I are simply considering whether such a program would prove beneficial or not. I should add, Evie is willing to go if it will help her, she would in no way be coerced. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I think it would be great. Remove the person from current circumstances so that they can work on just their symptoms, trauma and management! Hell ya!
    I'd do it in a heartbeat if able.

I think it's a great idea.

bec

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Kathy,

If I had the chance as a younger person, and had not had to go through my life out of control.... I too would have jumped at the chance. I think it's a wonderful opportunity to really FOCUS on the triggers, symptoms, and teaching you how to desensitize yourself from the effects of them from exposing yourself to them in a safe manner and with support.

I really think it's a great thing for Evie to try. God you and Jim are such wonderful people.

Ever consider adopting a 53 yr old woman?????? LOL!!!! I would love some nurturing.....

Wendy

5. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

omg.......IF i HAD THIS OPPORTUNITY i WOULD DO IT IN A HEARTBEAT. There is a facility in guelph, I think it is called homewood but that is the only one I know of around here. I am not sure of the cost but i could never leave ny son for that amount of time. But I wish Evie well and hope she takes this gift as i truly see that opportunity as a gift.

6. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I've been wishing I could go somewhere like that for months! When I had the job, I had insurance but no time. Now I've got more time and no insurance. However, we're going to win the lotto tonight, so....ha, ha.

7. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello Kathy, I think if is Evie's former psychiatrist recommending it then its worth a look. I think its a good idea as long as its not going to go over stuff already learnt I guess. I cant quite put into words but its got to be totally consuming not just tickle at the problems. If it is then I think it would be great. It'll be extremely hard work. I'm sort of undecided in a way because I think this would have been fantastic for me at the start but not now. I'm not 100% sure that things can be sped up. Thats my view though, the only person that would really know is Evie.

8. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I did one Kathy for six weeks, and whilst I will say it contained a lot of useless information, what I really got from it was talking directly face to face with other PTSD sufferers, hence how this forum was born. The information given has to be taken appropriately per person, and should never be attempted in blanket scenario's as they often feel works. I believe this is often where therapy fails, because a therapist becomes to familiar with certain techniques, and attempts to blanket all patients with the same repetitive techniques, instead of adapting uniquely to each and every person. This is why people sit in therapy for a decade vs. get more in six months with other sufferers than with a therapist.

I would say that if Evie is doing this like a course, where she is exposed constantly to other sufferers from various walks of life, that would be the ultimate experience for her to learn. The simple choice then comes down to Evie at that time, to participate and get the most out of herself, or sit in a corner waiting for it to be over!

I say that because I participated in my course to the point where I ended up leading the group, and this was a group primarily of soldiers. Coaxed them to participate, questioning them to help myself and others, to be involved. Some just wanted to sit in the corner and be wallpaper, and whilst the staff got most involved when they did that, you could be wallpaper if you wanted for the majority of each day. Its a choice, one which Evie has to make; that choice simply being 'do I want to participate and give it my best?' Only Evie can make that choice, and even though she says she will do it, that doesn't mean she will give it her best at all times.

If Evie wants to be in that atmosphere for 3 months and truly participate to the best of her ability, and then beyond her ability, she should do it.

Not sure how any person would go though being 3 months. Thats a long time for a sufferer to be exposed to such treatment! They know what their doing though, and I would highly recommend her to do it if she fits the suggested criteria above, being her mindset of choice.

9. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I agree with Anthony, kind of what I was trying to say but couldn't spit out!

Its ultimately down to Evie and even then its not that simple. You can want to get better and be in the right environment to do it but sometimes you cant rush the process. I sometimes get the most from my therapist sessions after the event. When I accept what's been said and understand things more and get those 'light bulb' moments when stuff just makes sense. I get those moments when the pressure's off usually.

10. nurse1

nurse1 Active Member

For me thearpy is very slow at this point. Always everyday stuff or problems at home lately when I see my Doctor. So we rarely get a chance to work on healing me. If I could go somewhere just for the jumpstart I absolutely would go. Let us know how this works. Just like with an Alcoholic I think you wouldnt get it all fixed in that time. But wouldnt be wonderful to focus on nothing but healing for three months? Hell yeah!!

And as far as dealing with the trauma for a long period of time. Unless they were complete iddiots they wouldnt put her in harms way.

Sounds like a plan!!!!

11. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I believe the idea of such programs are more to lay the ground work, then the person leaves and continues what they have learnt, ie. put into practice what was preached, so to speak. That is how my course worked, and I still use some of those tools today.

There are people from my course that have not changed one bit. They still drink heavily, still medicate, have done really very little since the course. Why? Because they attended, they even participated, but they didn't really care enough for themselves to want to move beyond their current lifestyle. They don't want to change, and are happy in misery, whinging daily, and having an excuse for their actions.

12. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Anthony,

I agree wholeheartedly with you.... When I was DX'ed I decided after over 40yrs of out of control behavior I needed to change. Changing my life style, my friends, my behavior, how I processed things, changing my reaction was the hardest things I ever had to do. It was like having another full time job on top of the one I already had. There were days that I was so tired I wanted to just say screw it. It would have been easy to just slip back into old comfy ways. But I needed to change because life wasn't working for me anymore. Change is hard....... Very hard. But I would never ever go back to the person that I was.....

I have lost just about everyone in my life that has ever meant anything to me, including my daughter and grandchildren, but to survive............I paid the price....

Wendy

13. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Thank you kindly for all the replies, they are appreciated. I see many of you would be quite willing to attend in Evie's place! Perhaps a sort of foundation should be set up to enable individuals who can not afford it to attend. Jim and I have wanted to set up some sort of foundation in memory of our son, which would benefit those with PTSD. It is an interesting area to consider.

However, I was interested moreso in hearing if these programs are generally effective, and the experiences of anyone who had been in such a program. I know for example that alcohol rehabilitation centres have a very low success rate, less than 10% if I am recalling correctly! And it seems Anthony you have confirmed that for me with regards to PTSD treatment centres as well, by describing your personal experiences. I suspected as much, but was hoping to hear of a bit more success. It seems it does boil down to the person's willingness and commitment to the program. I agree also Anthony, 3 months does seem like a rather long time. From my professional experience, the longer a patient or client is institutionalized, the more difficult it becomes to reintegrate them back into society. I would prefer the program to be 4-6 weeks rather than 3 months.

Our main reason for wanting Evie to go is to meet other PTSD sufferers, really to meet other people period, as she is quite isolated at the moment and exceedingly shy. Additionally, the chronic illness aspect of this program is highly desirable, as Evie must learn to manage her physical illness in order to manage her PTSD effectively. Many times one will trigger the other and it is exceedingly difficult for her.

Wendy I do believe you are a bit old for me to adopt as a daughter, as we are practically the same age (You are 53, I am 55)! :tongue: However you may consider me a friend!

Thank you once more for all of the replies. You have given Jim and I much to ponder here. I do believe the bottom line is Evie's willingness to work hard whilst there. We will definitely keep everyone abreast of our decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. residential treatment for PTSD

Show Sidebar