1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Rocking back and forth - any rockers here?

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Rapunzel, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member

Hi forum, just a wild shot in the dark, but I'm a rocker - not the heavy metal kind, but the kind that rocks back and forth a little in tense situations (mostly going to sleep). I find it comforting, and i just wondered if there were any like me here.

I'm assuming it's similar to being rocked in the womb or cradle. Strangely, it takes no physical effort, and I am rarely aware that I'm doing it. It had to be pointed out to me.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Welcome to the forum Rapunzel. I do this too, though not so much anymore as my family points it out to me and tells me to stop. I do it when I'm going to sleep as well. I also have this habit of flicking my fingers in front of my eyes, and I rock a bit sometimes when I do that too. Making repetitive movements like that is called stimming (from the word "stimulation") or self-stimulation. You're right, it is comforting. I think it's a form of dissociation, at least for me. Because I kind of space out when I do it. Anyways you're not the only one. :)

4. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I do this, too. Not when going to sleep, though. I find myself rocking myself when I'm really upset, going through flashbacks, that kind of thing. It is comforting.

5. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I'm glad this has been posted, because I feel really embarrassed by this. I rock when I'm really distressed. A comfort thing for me too....

6. willing

willing Active Member

Me too and I'm afraid to do it around my partner because I am spacing too. Never thought of flicking my fingers I just pick a spot on the ground in front of me. I go to the spot. And I too do it when I am distressed. And always when I am anxious. I just got to remember to breathe. Breathing helps me relax quite a bit. I am considering Yoga to try and get a systematic routine going with the breathing. So see Rupunzel you're not alone. What else do you do? I like this thread. I love comparing notes. But see how it gets me going a bit so I need to watch this.
    Patty

DharmaGirl, winterose, Rain and 2 others like this.
  7. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I rock on occasion, too, usually when I'm very scared or sad.

It always comes with some dissociation, but I dissociate without rocking way more often. Like willing, I focus on a spot and go into it. It feels like I turn myself inside out. Thought I was a total freak for doing all this till I got the PTSD diagnosis and found out it's common. My T and I have noted when I dissociate and it's mostly when other people get mad or I get mad. Sometimes I just "turn off" and am numb and detached, but sometimes I do the space out, inside-out trance thing.

Rain, Srain and Froggie like this.
  8. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

When things hit that wall I find myself rocking back and forth its like I am a child again and I feel very upset I begin to rock back and forth itseems to be a comforting wayto hide in myself , but , I knoe that when it gets to th eplace that I rock my hubby knows I am bad and that he has too to work hard to get me out of it ,sorry probably doesnt help what I just said but I have no answers other than If its bad I rock

Rain and Froggie like this.
  9. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I bought an old wood rocker for just this purpose.. it helps calm me.. I will do it without a rocker when i'm beyond upset.. As for comfort for sleep, I have to rub my feet together or on the dog, a partner.. etc.. If I can't rub my feet, I can not relax.. I even do it while just watching T.V..

I just figured it was nervous energy.

bec

TheBubzilla, Rain and Srain like this.
  10. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

I do sometimes - when I'm being triggered - it's kind of like my brain takes over and it's all you can do to keep a grip - to rock. Y'know, rocking is a part of yoga because it's therapuetic so maybe there's something in that.

Rain and Srain like this.
  11. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Hi Rapunzel,

I did it for a short stretch of time in my twenties, got scared and stopped myself from it. Then not again. But, just last night and today while writing, I started doing it some, and I guess I'd rather be occassionally doing this then lighting up a cigg. or raiding the refridg.

What I do, from time to time, and it's noticeably aggravating to my husb. at night, is twitch or move my foot, or drive it's heal into the bed, all while we're suppose to be sleeping. (lol)

Glad you found us Rapunzel, and Welcome !
    Take Care

Hope

Rain likes this.
  12. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member

Hello All,
    Interesting replies! I'd say to anybody self-conscious about rocking (etc) - don't give it a moment's thought. Who cares? It comforts you and, as you said above, it's way better than smoking :)

I have had various comfort "ticks" at various stages of my life - like a lot of children I twiddled my hair, for instance. As a child I always liked going on swings, and playing on rocking horses too, so there's a theme going on here, obviously. I think we all have something, so it's not unusual and personally I wouldn't heed anybody telling me to stop. I can swing my foot, play with my hair, rock, or whatever - it's MY choice.

The rocking chair idea was a GOOD one. I bought myself a desk chair that rocks backwards and it's wonderful, for those moments when you just sit there thinking.

I recently solved (I think) one strange piece of behaviour, through watching a TV documentary of the development of babies in the womb. When very stressed I would have an impulse to reach forwards and upwards and try to grasp or cling onto something... I had no idea what. But then I observed the baby in the womb reaching out and grasping the umbilical cord in just the same way!!

And - here's an interesting thing - the texture of that umblilical is just the same as a twisted lock of hair, which many of us rub and feel for comfort.

Hmmmm.

Tricia.

Rain likes this.
  13. moki

moki Guest

When I get really stressed and I am at home, I listen to my tibetan monk chants on my mp3. I usually go in the bedroom since the house is so small and has very little private space.

I also rub my feet together when I am trying to go to sleep at night and it rocks my whole body and is very comforting. Always has been. I bet I did this as a baby or something. Sometimes I just do a very low hum and that zones me out.

winterose and Rain like this.