• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Rocking back and forth - any rockers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not alone but I thought I was there until I decided to search for answers and came across this. I also rock back and forth constantly but not in front of people only because I'm embarrassed but it's a comforting thing for me and have no idea why I do it or what caused me to Rock but I've done this as far back as I could remember my mom said I rocked as a toddler and said as a baby I loved my swing any time I cried she out me in my swing and I'd stop crying and that the only time I wanted to be out of my swing was when I was hungry then I wanted to go right back but now as a 24 year old I'm starting to question it kinda just wanna know if it's caused by some disorder or from anxiety anyhow thought I'd post and let you know youre not alone

I just realized this today myself. I always dissociate when I do it. It has really increased lately or maybe I am just now becoming more aware of it. It is very calming but I totally lose time when I am doing it.

Hi forum, just a wild shot in the dark, but I'm a rocker - not the heavy metal kind, but the kind that roc...

I actually do the same exact thing, except I twitch a little and I do it and not realize it. It’s comforting but my parents try to Keep me from doing it because I look deranged.
I do it at least 5 times a day and most of the time I’m staring off into space at the same time. And to be honest, as I was typing this I was rocking.

Yup...I'm a rocker as well. - If I remember right, it started around the age of 14; When all the shit I went through resurfaced mightily, and almost all at once! Close friends told me, that I'm doing it, when I'm in a "spaced-out" state. I (still) find rocking very soothing, though.:sleep:

...But now, while typing this, I remembered me as a small child during bedtime; I so often suffered from sleep disturbance and nightmares, so I often sat up and was rocking back and forth until I was so tired, that I finally fell asleep. That was its first purpose for me during my early childhood. At least as far as I can remember... I had to stop rocking in my bed, though... - My "darling mother" bought a new one for me. Its wooden frame was painted in an almost black-ish-brown colour, and it massively creaked with every move I made. Man, I hated that horrible dark, creaky bed so much! That creaking sound increased my mothers control over me, her personal possession...

Last edited:
I am just starting therapy for depression and ptsd(possibly). I always rock when I am stressed or feel alone. I guess I should tell the therapist about it. Hope all the therapy helps me get over this. Very traumatic childhood. I am 61 and ready to be free of this feeling of needing to rock.
I guess its better than doing something else like screaming. I always used my rocking and also my blankets satin edging rubbing across my upper lip too as a soothing or to relieve stress I guess. Most of the time I don't realize I am doing it until someone mentions it.

@meto, hope you eventually feel comfortable enough to join us... so many things you will find you are not alone in... and that helps a lot with this journey.

I am just starting therapy for depression and ptsd(possibly). I always rock when I am stressed or feel alone. I guess I...
There is nothing wrong with rocking.
I married into a family where almost everyone rocks! LOL I don't know if it is a genetic thing or what. Just remember that you are not alone. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I keep catching myself rocking back and forth with my upper body. Usually with my arms crossed, or in my lap, etc. It makes me feel embarrassed. I don't realize I'm doing it, then I notice it and stop.

Sometimes I just let myself do it even after I notice, like with my T, because it's comforting to do and it's really hard to handle the shit in there, and she sees worse than me just rocking back and forth - I guess that's why I do it I guess, just comforting myself?

I'm often thinking about shit just rocking back and forth I guess, lost in my thoughts. Usually thoughts about bad shit.

Anyone relate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back