1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Romanian orphan diagnosed and medicated for schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Childhood' started by shimmerz, Jan 11, 2018.

1. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

I have a friend who is a teacher. She chats with at times about children who she feels have some trauma stuff going on. We spoke yesterday and what she told me really disturbed me.

A fellow teacher adopted a child from Romania at 2 years old. The child is now 7. The doctors have recently diagnosed her with schizophrenia. They are dosing her with Abilify. This really hurts my heart.

Any thoughts on this anyone? Do you think a child can have schizophrenia at 7 years old? I could really use some help with this one. I think I may be too close to it to see it clearly.

Anarchy, Rain, Zoogal and 1 other person like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. EveHarrington

EveHarrington ________ in progress Premium Member

Look up Jani and Bodhi Schofield.

Both developed schizophrenia at a very young age.

It may not be the typical presentation of schizophrenia but it does happen.

I don’t think it’s up to anyone else to judge.

Rain and shimmerz like this.
  4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I guess it would depend on the treatment this child went through BEFORE it was adopted....

Anarchy, Rain and scout86 like this.
  5. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

I’m thinking that on the surface of it, someone who specializes in working with children has sought comprehensive medical care & treatment for their child. That sounds like a good thing.

Specifically focusing on abilify... this is one of the few psychiatric drugs that is considered safe enough for pediatrics, and of pediatric meds -esp antipsychotics / atypical antipsychotics- it has one of the lowest instances of & some of the mildest sets side effects both short & long term. It’s widely used with both autistic & bipolar children, in addition to the far more rare dx of schizophrenia. So as well as seeking help for their child, it sounds like their doctors are going the very slow / safe route in regards to their treatment. Again, that sounds like a good thing.

6. Zoogal

Zoogal I'm a VIP

That's good

shimmerz and Rain like this.
  7. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

That's good to know. Thank you.

scout86 likes this.