• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Sandra Bland Suicide Or Murder, And Self Harming

• Thread starter Deleted member 28740
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 28740

From Democracy Now!:

NERMEEN SHAIKH: Law enforcement officials in Waller County, Texas, have concluded that the cause of 28-year-old African-American woman Sandra Bland’s death in police custody was suicide. Bland was initially stopped for allegedly failing to signal a lane change. In a nationally televised press conference Thursday, Assistant Prosecutor Warren Diepraam said preliminary autopsy results indicate Bland hanged herself in her jail cell three days after the traffic stop escalated into an arrest.

WARREN DIEPRAAM: The only injury which was present on her neck or head was what’s called a ligature thorough or a ligature mark. This is consistent with a suicide, according to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Science, because the mark on her neck, which I will show pictures of at the completion of this discussion, is a uniform and consistent mark around the neck of Miss Bland. Had this been a violent struggle or a murder, you would most likely not expect to see a consistent and uniform ligature mark around her neck.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: Diepraam said the report showed no defensive injuries that are typical in cases of violent homicide. But he said it did find indications Bland had tried to harm herself before.

WARREN DIEPRAAM: Suicide has become a possible issue in this particular case. As to that, there were on her left arm what the pathologist conducting the autopsy described as cut marks. There were approximately 30 cut marks on her left wrist, which were also in a state of healing. These roughly 30 cut marks were both in a state of scarring and scabbing, indicating that they may have been placed on her body roughly two to four weeks prior to her incarceration.

The rest of the interview is interesting in that she had just achieved a job at the college she graduated from, and voice messages left prior to arrest ($5,000!!!!!) for a failure to signal lane change, are not suicidal at all, just irritated to be stuck in jail for a failure to signal.

Curious about the shelf harming (???) as being suicidal ideation. Thoughts?

I am just appalled by this case. This beautiful and accomplished young woman gets sent to jail while those of us who are white probably, most likely, would not for what she did. I mean, failing to signal a lane change?? Hello?? I just feel so bad for her and her family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back