• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Select memories can be erased, leaving others intact

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
Different types of memories stored in the same neuron of the marine snail Aplysia can be selectively erased, according to a new study.

Dead Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if only I was a marine snail :)

I understand the application of of what they say in the example, removing the fear of the mailbox without removing the fear of being mugged, but how would that work for many of us here? How would they remove the memory of people dressed too warmly for the weather without removing the memory of the danger of suicide suicide bombers?

And I'm not really sure I trust anyone enough to let them mess with my memories ;)

Hmmm. I really am wondering now how this research jives with earlier studies in nematodes. Researchers found nematodes could retain memories even after having their heads and brains removed. Strange Worm Still Has Its Memories After Being Decapitated And Regrowing Its Head

Now I have visions of scientists zapping trauma memories from my brain only to have them return from some hidden place in my body. Might make a good sci fi/horror flick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back