• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Selective Mutism / Not Speaking Due to Stress

Do you ever go temporarily mute due to too much stress?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting observation. I cannot drink alcohol because I 'tilt' and go insane, and because I am roaming around the countryside writing stories and kind of wandering, I don't have a medical doctor nearby who can bail me out of a nutward, which is probably what will happen next. Last time I drank alcohol was Sep 07 and it wound up as a night (early morning to afternoon) spent in the drunk tank. No charges. This time I drank was a week ago and I was shooting my mouth off and threatening to kill everyone because, guess what, and even I did not know this, BUT I AM THE DEVIL, apparently, if I was quoted correctly, AND I AM GOING TO KILL YOU ALL, at the bar I was attending. Believe it or not, they felt they had TWO options, ONE give me a ride home and let me die in my own vomit, or TWO call and ambulance, which, in this principality, would have meant my first ever stay in a psychiatric ward (mandatory, observation, max. 30 day). So I got lucky this week, and avoided the most dire consequences of NOT BEING ABLE TO SPEAK UNLESS I AM HAMMERED

I have a tendency to become withdrawn, isolate, and quiet. Mostly, I just don't have anything to say. I am usually less tolerant and patient with others at those times, which is the best time to keep my mouth shut!

It is normal for me not to speak. I usually am able to smile, but not say much. When really stressed, my mouth gets really dry and my tongue feels thick and I just can't form words.

I'm going to hold of on poll right now because while I have had episodes of muteness, I don't know what it is due to.

The first time it happened was the night I was first raped. Afterward I tried to talk, but just couldn't. But, I don't know if I was a case of shock, stress, fear, not being able to find the right words I wanted to say, or just silence because of the physical pain I was in.

Over the course of that year, (while I was experiencing a plethera of trauma), I chose not to speak as much as I used to. I had always been a very vocal person, but that all ended (at least for a while). I could talk, and if I was asked a question, I would respond. I don't know if this was due to stress, PTSD, depression, or what.

Finally, when talking about the trauma in detail I often go mute. Again, could be stress, or it could be not being able to find the right words to express myself...I don't know.

nic

I'm surprised that, given how many of us find it difficult to speak and relate it to our being traumatized, that there is not more said on it in "the literature." When I read about PTSD, I don't see this mentioned. Has anyone else seen referrals to muteness or difficulty speaking in their reading?

I've often dreamed of obtaining a job by pretending to be a mute so I wouldn't have to talk to people.

Always thought it would be an easy way to stay safe.

thanku marlene for the question

& ditto for everything...

it is so hard to d r a g the words out... if absolutely necessary... and like batgirl says when i do push myself it adds to the mood longevity or extremeness...

I put yes, I keep to myself, withdrawn, don't talk to anyone (voluntarily at least) Along with it though comes spacing out, not hearing when people talk to me, thinking about things.

When I am overwhelmed and upset over something, what ever the cause, I become mute. I believe it is due as to the point in my past with trauma when I couldn't speak for a year due to severe domestic violence. If I know a person has the tendency to not understand half the time about me or what I am saying or will ask what is this n that, no go for me. And I hate it when somebody forgets how I am not simply refusing to speak, takes time to work through it big time and I can't help it, but I can see it.

My brother does this a lot, incapable of communicating with us at all, or maybe just an occasional yes or no answer. I sort of wish I did this myself. It would be better than having to try to explain all the crap I say during episodes!

So glad I saw this. Thought was only one.
It is often that I literally cannot speak. I have recently thought it is proabably a form of dissociation.
Other times my voice and my thoughts are confusing; I doubt what I have said and it feels unreal so get confused. I sotimes think I will be able to speak and then find it is painstaking and moving lips difficult.
Sometimes my thoughts go so can't find what wanted tp speak about.
Sometimes I feel sure noone can hear me so my sentences taper out and I don't finish them.
Sometimes my words and thoughts are spagetti - a mishmash of confused sounds and concepts.
One of my worst things about therapy as therapists have thought I was just be avoidant before.
Now my t has told me that I can talk and she does not believe I can't. :( :( :( :(

Yes I have done pretty much since I was little. I would be very quiet at school and then louder at home. I also get it at family gatherings and when seeing online friends at meet ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back