• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Self care during long trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone…I posted this in one more place, but I guess I can use all tips I can gather.
Usually even one trip a month is plenty to make me feel like tired. But this year I’ve had 2 trips home in January, 1 trip in February, then a lot of stressful months including moving…

This month, I had one trip for a family wedding. Also I’m an introvert and I was surrounded by people that think that every second of a trip should be busy. Some of my family is extremely negative about everything I do too, and that also weighs me down…AND now there are some document stuff that popped up to take care of and I have to go back. In 2 days.

I liked the wedding part of the trip, that was sweet…but I feel extremely worn out. The trip included 4×7+h buses, and a lot of social things, all of which tires me. It was nice to see some nature, but again, at this point I feel …malnourished at every sense of the word. Even with trying to journal and keep positive during the trip itself. I’m going back now, and that means another 5-7days in that toxic negative environment and me trying to be the most positive person there to counter that.
It also means another 15 hours of travel altogether.

I feel out of control of my calendar and what I eat and of working out, and my body feels all beat. With so much constant tiredness now I feel sleepy and hungry all the time. My skin is dry, I feel half-sick just from eating whatever, my feet hurts, my mind is overwhelmed as I’ve had no outlet on the trip. I did write all the time, but it doesn’t help as much as physical journaling with collages and drawing helped. I also haven’t had chance for any other self care of any kind. I feel so restricted. There were things at home waiting for my attention, important things, and now I will be travelling again. I can do it, it’s important document stuff, so I’ll pull it together and do it, but I’ve been back home for like a day. I’m still so tired it’s like I’m sleepwalking, I feel like I have no energy and almost like I have fever(actually I might), and I feel like every part of my body is seriously revolting against travelling again so soon…

Any tips for self-care and keeping up with my regular mental and physical health needs while being on the road so much? I want to do it better this time.
I’ve been trying to take this better and keep up with all that needs to be prepared for the next trip, and to like…keep myself together and going through todo lists…But all I feel is the need to lay down and sleep for 3 days straight. I can’t do that so what can I do to take better care of myself this time around? I'm tired of the way last trip went and I want to take care of myself on this one. SORRY that this is so long, it just feels important to put my health first this time around…

Where do you stay when you're on these trips? I don't mind traveling, but dealing with family is something else again. I've found that staying in a motel, so there's at least some part of the day that I don't have to be in guard helps a lot.

Where do you stay when you're on these trips? I don't mind traveling, but dealing with family is someth...
Sadly, with family. I love my family, but in small doses. Especially that my parents are currently extremely negative and I find that exhausting. On few trips I tried to talk to them about it, which was met with denial and more negativity of the sort "this is reality and it sucks, grow thicker skin". So now I try to ignore the negativity and take care of myself as well as I can.
I stayed home last trip because I figured one trip isn't that long...and since this trip wasn't planned I can't finance it much either, so...motel is out of the question. I might try to somehow go for walks or whatever more since I don't think I can't handle that attitude for long otherwise, it feels really toxic. They are now at the state where if there is scarcity of options, and there are let's say 3 options for something, they will only see one and think you're weak or spoiled if you try to use another option...Sorry that this is vague...but yeah, simply, it's negative environment and I'll have to somehow handle it without being in a hotel. And daydream/make savings for the next such trip. But in the meantime I have to handle this one.

Update: What I said about self-care still stands, just wanted to add I have definitely actually gotten myself sick too. I've been falling asleep constantly today/have no energy and now I got fever. I thought it was tiredness, but it's becoming apparent it's not only that.

Maybe you're too sick to go?
Haha...I wish...I'm not in my native country, and because of some law details I have to go out of the country for at least a day and then go back in so that it's legal for me to stay...Long story, but since I don't have money even for a day of vacation(already took that with that wedding), I have to go home...And since I lost so much work time already, I can't afford losing more days in a roll....so I guess I'll go home again(to my parents place) and work for few days there until I catch up to my work deadlines and then I'll come to my current home(which actually feels like home now).

Visa legistics, but it's important if I want to stay here, and I feel at home here. So yeah...I have 2 days to get it together. I did ask a friend to bring food over though because I was too weak, and I have been turning off all electronics and sleeping for the past 6h in bright day light, so I think it will be okay. Plus I took something and my fever is down, somewhat...I still feel wobbly and faint if I try to get up, but I'm hoping if I continue to rest may be I'll feel good enough by morning to continue getting ready. Or at least okay-ish. And good enough to make a plan how to keep myself healthier this trip.

There are times in life when you can't choose to take too much time off...this is one of those. I'm trying to handle it as best as I can.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back