1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Selling My Soul For a Solid Nights Sleep!

Discussion in 'Sleep & Nightmares' started by Azhure, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azhure

Azhure New Member

Was wondering if anyone has found any good techniques for getting to sleep at night and actually not waking up until morning?

I have tried everything, warm milk, counting sheep, reading, tiring myself out with excercise etc etc, but whenever it gets to about 10pm, i am wide awake and not wanting to close my eyes.

I know some of it is the nightmares and not wanting to go there again, but honestly...my body at some point has to want to crash for the night doesn't it?

This has been going on nearly 8 months now, yet strangely enough I don't feel all that tired or affeced by the lack of sleep. I tend to be capable of getting about 4 hours of broken sleep before I give up and get out of bed.

Just thought I would share and see if anyone has any advice (and i would rather avoid drugs - although that i currently under discussion with my therapist! :D )

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. txmomof3

txmomof3 Active Member

I have ended up using medication for sleep because there is simply nothing else that shuts my mind down completely. I do use a machine called Resperate for relaxation that helps...it is great for people with PTSD. I worked really hard on biofeedback, but could not shut out the thoughts that would come up. My biofeedback therapist tried this machine and it is awesome! I originally got it for pain management...but it can help with sleep.

It is about the size of a portable CD player. It has a strap that goes around your chest/abdomen to measure your respiratory rate. It then plays music through earphonesto help you slow down your breathing. It is marketed for high blood pressure, but it is the only way I have found I can relax. There is just enough stimulation to keep your mind from wandering...but not enough to keep you from relaxing.

4. logan

logan Guest

I tried a walk after dinner and then on latter on but not pushing myself just some fresh air putting on the earphones just wired me up the noise stopped the flow but awoke another part