1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Sensation of Expanding or Swelling

Discussion in 'General' started by batgirl, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Does anyone else ever get this feeling like their body, and especially their head, is expanding or swelling? I get it when I'm laying in bed sometimes. I have it quite bad today. It's like my head is getting larger and larger, and I have the feeling of my tongue swelling up or all lumped up and too big for my mouth. Really my whole body feels like it's getting bigger and bigger. It's really strange and hard to explain. It doesn't hurt or anything but it is kind of uncomfortable.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello Evie, no cant say I do. I get bad headaches when it feels like my head is going to explode but I think thats just stress. Perhaps you should tell your doc?

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks Claire. Hmm I don't know if it's worth telling the doctor about, it doesn't really feel like a physical problem exactly. I do get migraines but this is completely different. It is a bit bothersome when it happens, but it usually goes away when I've had some rest, so it doesn't seem serious. I was more just curious if anyone else experiences something similiar or knows what it is.

5. Tiana

Tiana Member

I don't know if this helps: Sometimes my tongue feels like it's swelling in my mouth to the point I can't swallow and it feels it's obtructing my airway. Those are the times when there's stress I'm not paying attention to, manifesting itsself in physical way, most normally when I'm going through a peroid with little sleep.

Strange foot note - when I was 7 I had Scarlet Fever. It made me feel like my body was swelling and hot, the deflating and cold, back to back. So uncomfortable!

I hope you find relief! Try to make sure you're well rested.
    Hugs,
    Tiana

6. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh weird about the scarlet fever Tiana... hope it's not that! :p Seriously though what you said about not getting much sleep fits actually, because I am getting very poor sleep right now. So maybe that's it, the cause anyways. Thanks for your input.

7. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I know this feeling! Actually I get in conjunction with this weird dream I get where people go fat and short then tall and slim (there's a thread on it in here somewhere). I start feeling body parts (usually my toes, feet, hands and tongue) swell so that they feel as if they are not attached! Don't know what causes it but I sure identify!

bec

8. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

OMG I HAVE THE SAME DREAM!!!! I shit you not... I get a dream about people being fat and then skinny, etc... that is so weird that you get the same dream. Maybe it's physiologically based. I know my old psychiatrist said certain cryptic dreams of mine that didn't make any sense were likely due to brain damage from the PTSD. I have to check out that thread if I can find it. I assume it's old because I don't recall it.

Yeah I get that feeling of the body parts being detached too... that is a good way to describe it. Thanks bec!

9. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

I have experienced this at times of stress. Sometimes its like my head is moving forward even though I'm lying down or sitting in one place. Its like, wo, head, comeback here! Sometimes when I'm stressed and my heart is beating fast I close my eyes to try to rest and I see pasley designs that are multicolored and grow huge then explode into hundreds of teenie tiny pasleys. My dad used to wear pasley ties. I think that's where this weird visual head stuff comes from. Needless to say, its weird and doesn't feel good.

10. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I've read something about feeling like body parts are changing size, I think it was (yet another) form of depersonalization.

Hang on, this article mentions it on the third page.

11. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh thanks so much for that article kers. It was a very interesting read!

12. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Yeah, thanks Kers! That was an interesting read.
    Evie I found the old thread on that dream for you : [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread3141.html[/DLMURL]

Interesting that we get the same sensation and the same dream!

bec

13. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks for the link bec. I don't have the white background part, but the rest of the dream is very, very similar, and the sensations you describe sound like mine too. Weird...