• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sensory Changes With Dissociative Episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
I'm dealing with a medical eyesight problem so I have been having vision changes as I go through treatment for it.

Yesterday, I had a massive dissociative episode. During it, everything I saw was a little distorted. Like I was looking at things through wiggly jello glasses or something. It's really hard to describe. I didn't see anything that wasn't there, but it was like everything was weird looking and almost wiggly. I thought I was losing my mind and told my therapist. She said it sounded more like dissociation than anything else. She said I was very connected to what was reality (that the walls were not really wiggly).

For me, sound can be a little weird. It doesn't change, but it can sound far off, even my own voice sounds like it is far off in the distance. More than one trauma therapist has said this is dissociation.

Does anyone else experience anything like this?

Yes. Both the vision and the sound part. When trying to describe the vision thing I have compared it to the way the movements of things seen through hot air, like over an electric heater or in a desert. The air seems to thicken to a kind of liquid with waves rippling through it.

When trying to describe the vision thing I have compared it to the way the movements of things seen through hot air, like over an electric heater or in a desert.
Yes that is exactly how I have described it to my therapists over the years. Or that as I look out everything I know is really there but it takes on the look and feel of a very well done oil painting. It all looks not real when I know it is, which creates a confusing circle of logic inside my brain as I am trying to work it out.

I am so sorry you both experience this, but I am so relieved to know I am not alone and that my therapist was really right that I am not alone in this experience. Thank you so much for letting me know.
(yeah, I know, I don't believe therapist-types very easily.)

Yes. It feels like a mini earthquake inside! I had the same symptoms before my flood of memories. It was very confusing. I'm happy-go-lucky and then out of nowhere terrible vision and the shakes feeling faint of heart. I can laugh now..but I actually went to an eye doctor. I thought my eyesight was going due to my age and dismissed the shakes due to too many starbucks! LOL

Now my memories match my body memories. Damn was I wrong!

My memories were trying to surface. Point being...I handled the psychical symptoms just fine before I had the flood of memories. I can do it again. :)

Francismarie has mentioned how animals shake off the fear. I'm beginning to wonder if that's what my body was trying to do.

I get the sound thing; I haven't had visual wiggling recently but I have a weird memory of a period as a child when I was seeing something like that, and was quite scared by it. Currently I get a sort of change in colors; they seem less rich. That seems to be when I'm feeling threatened/triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back