• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Service dogs and training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I said I wasn't going to talk more about the patch and I'm not going to. I thought th...
I watched about the first few minutes of the video. That's a heck of alot of patches.

This is the kind of craziness that is happening in the world of ESA’s.

Can you imagine if thi...
Honestly I don't believe her. Even if she's telling the truth she couldn't have seen if she could give it to a family getting OFF a plane?

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched about the first few minutes of the video.

Skip to about the last 3 mins. She explains there why. After showing all the patches.

That's a heck of alot of patches.

You should see all the patches in the drawer in Chopper's closet. We have probably 50 patches we don't currently use. Some came with vests, some for a vest I couldn't use, and some for other vests we didn't use.

ETA: Some I plan on using and just haven't asded velcro to it. Some will replace others currently being used.

If you have a service dog you likely have a shit ton of patches. Mostly to stop the public from touching/talking to our dogs. This the entire reasoning behind this one patch I want.

I would be suprised I'd they read a whole bunch if patches

Thus why I want one patch that keeps people away. Now you are starting to understand why I want one patch people are surely to read as it includes an F bomb.

But some patches aren't for that reasoning. Example: Emergency info inside and don't seperate dog from handler. And then just patches to express oneself. Some like the PTSD service dog ones. I don't. Some like "i work for her" ones. I don't. Some are ribbons for awareness of certian disabilties. So not all are for the public to stay away. Many she showed there are for her to express herself and have zero to do with the public.

But yes, its less likely people are going to read 20 patches. Thus why I want one they most likely will read. I've gone with just one and no one reads that either. So, whatcha gonna do?

WORKING DO NOT PET

Have it, doesn't work. Our "do not dare touch" mobility harness cape/vest works but I have a vest that has a mobility magnitized buckle vest that we use today that I use and want a patch for. There isn't an ability to put a patch all the way across the vest (nor do I know of a patch made as such unless it's on the sides and we mark service dog in training still). But I have "medical alert dog do not distract" leash wrap on the front that helps but all of those patches you are advising (which aren't big) I have and every variation I have and no one reads them. Our training vest has service dog in training on the sides and one patch "service dog no touch no talk no eye contact" on the top and we've had our worst experiences in that vest. No one reads patches. No matter what they say. So, I want to go extreme to get it clearly across to people.

ETA: Used a vest without patches as well (was our training vest) and that was the worst experiences with the public. The public seems to see vest and thinks thats an open invitation to pet, make kissy noises, make their kids aware there's a dog in the store and tell them to go pet, follow us, and persist way past the "please don't pet/talk to/distract/bark at/make kissy noises to/throw things at/try to hit with a cart/ he is working and needs to focus soely on me" and I get screamed at for asking people to not do those things. When charging devices in Walmart after Irma I asked a lady to please don't talk to him and she screamed her loudest and said "I'm not going to touch your f*cking dog bitch!" People have try to hit him with a cart, have thrown rocks at in walmart (the ones sold in the craft/flower section), have almost been kicked on purpose, have had kids using squeeky toys trying their hardest to distract, had grown ass adults barking at him, a woman on her hands and knees crawling towards us while he was tasking in line, many people stooping down to pet when I'm sitting with Chopper doing DPT trying to stop disocissation which apparently is an open invitation to stoop to pet.

Can you blame me for wanting one singluar patch that gets the point across?

I don’t have any special patches.

Yes, but you also live in a different country where apparently people understand and respect that vest much more then Americans do.

Last edited:
Yes, but you also live in a different country where apparently people understand and respect that vest much more then Americans do.
No. The experiences you’ve described are all pretty familiar.

The last time I had a lady start screaming at me I was in the post office. I kept my mouth shut and let her scream.

She got kicked out of the store.

What you’re describing isn’t any different. It’s just the way you manage the issue that’s different to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back