• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Shakespeare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love A Midsummer Night's Dream

Puck's epilogue:

” If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber’d here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
if you pardon, we will mend:
And, as I am an honest Puck,
If we have unearned luck
Now to ‘scape the serpent’s tongue,
We will make amends ere long;
Else the Puck a liar call;
So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.” (V, i. 440-455)

I remember this scene from Dead Poets Society. Such a great movie!

Too hard! But fave character? Horatio from Hamlet: if we could all have that kind of friend, that sticks by us through our worst sorrows and loss, through our madness, and as we fall, wish us "flights of angels sing thee to thy rest".

And more still, to go beyond that, after our death, after the whole world has hated us and abandoned us, proclaim boldly to the uncaring and the judgmental: give order that these bodies high on a stage be placed to view, and let me speak to the yet unknowing world...

Unwavering faithful as a friend to Hamlet, in life and beyond. If we could but all have our own Horatio, with us in life and defending us after we are gone.

I used to have a list, not quite sure what's happened to it... But a good start here, none the less!

Henry V

• Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more Act III, scene i

Hamlet
  • Brevity is the soul of wit - Act II scene ii
  • O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams. -Act II scene ii
  • Though this be madness, yet there is method in ’t.
  • This above all: to thine own self be true - Act I scene iii
  • When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions Act IV, scene v
  • Alas poor Yorrick! I knew him, Horatio
Measure For Measure
  • Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt - Act I, scene iv
  • Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall - Act II, scene i

King Henry IV, Part I
  • The better part of valour is discretion. - Act V, scene iv

Julius Caesar
  • Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of war". - Act III, scene i
  • Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once. - Act II, Scene ii

The Scottish Play

• Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it; - Act I, scene iv

Othello
  • To mourn a mischief that is past and gone is the next way to draw new mischief on". - Act I, Scene iii
  • The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief". - Act I, Scene iii

Sheesh - a little harsh @FridayJones . I know it's cliche, but I cried at "Et tu, Brute" in JC!

Some of Billy Shakespeare's best lines are the short and sweet ones. Skip past all the usual "To be or not to be..." mono-drama in Hamlet and you get to:

"Aye, there's the rub!"

Hahaha! I L O V E that line! I don't care how much of the librarian's pet it makes me, I use it all the time. There's the rub indeed!!

Hamlet. *The Ghost Scene*

"Hamlet meets his Fathers Ghost"

"Wither wilt thou lead me, speak,I'll go no further" Hamlet

"Mark me!" Ghost

"I will" Hamlet

"The Hour is almost come when I to Sulfurous and Tormenting flames must render up myself !" Ghost

"Alas, poor Ghost" Hamlet

"Pity me not but lend thy serious hearing to the tale I shall unfold" Ghost

"For it is said that whist lain in mine orchard, a Serpent did sting my ear....... That Serpent now wears my CROWN" Ghost

"Oh my prophetic soul....... my UNCLE!" Hamlet

My absolute favourite scene from my college theater arts days, I played both parts on a darkened night as a monologue. I spoke as Hamlet to stage left and as his Fathers Ghost to stage right. No easy feat I can tell you :)

Thou puking toad-spotted clotpole!

Apparently this is what Billy Shaker things of me - http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html?, here is the link. :roflmao:

I dare you all to go to this link and tell us all the first insult you are called, just for a bit of fun, @hodge I love this thread, Having studied and performed in many many Shakespeare plays, many many years ago, this thread has really really cheered me up after recent events, :D. it has taken me ten bloody minutes to type this reply with only one finger, lol.

Thankyou my dearest friend for this thread, you have made a very poorly old soldier very happy today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back