• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Should i be worried my boyfriend will molest someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jobivi

My boyfriend was sexually molested when he was just 4 years old by a neighbor. Then when my boyfriend was 9 or 10, he was caught doing the same thing that had been done to him to another neighborhood boy. I don't have all the details on what exactly that thing was, especially since this is such a touchy subject, but I think it had something to do with inappropriate touching. His parents immediately put him in intensive counseling. (Side note: He's definitely not gay or even bi, I think he was more just a confused child whose sexuality wasn't permitted to develop naturally.)

In his adult life, he's been what you could classify as promiscuous, although he's definitely never been sexually abusive to anyone nor is he even really into kink or fetishes much- he's just has had a good number of partners. He also cheated on someone once a long time ago when he was about 20 years old but has never cheated on anyone else since then.

Recently a couple prominent, well-respected, and trusted members of our community were busted for child molestation, and it's really affected me. I don't understand much about pedophiles or how they become that way. I realize I may be connecting dots where there perhaps are none, and I know I have my own anxieties I have to factor in as well, but I also don't want to be naive either (which I traditionally am so sometimes I overcompensate).

My boyfriend absolutely adores kids and is amazingly good and sweet with them. I poke fun of him that he's more the "woman" in our relationship since he always talks about how he can't wait to have them. Again, I just want to make sure I'm being smart. Any insight or clarity would really help! Thank you so much!

No I really don't think you have anything to worry about. My abuser was abused by a seriously screwd up deviant and my abuser repeatedly reoffended and refused treatment but i also offended as a Child in turn and it was really just reenactment and a plea for help. I had complete remorse and would never do it again. I just beeded help.

A teeny tiny number of sexually abused kids grow up to be adults who sexually abuse kids.

A rather large number of sexually abused kids repeat their trauma / act out/ sexually abuse other kids.

Think of it this way:
Kids who are hit tend to hit other kids.
Most adults who were hit as kids do not hit kids.

Where the line is between kids acting out their own sexual abuse with other kids, and pedophiles / sexually abusive adults? There's no hard and fast age or number. The biggest consensus Ive read is... Sometime around puberty. But that ranges from about 8yo-16yo.

That he got promiscuous is actually one of the better signs that he's unlikely to sexually abuse kids. Because puberty came, and his sexual trauma went down "normal" lines. Seeking (or avoiding) sex. So not only do most sexually abused kids not become pedophiles, so the odds are against it. But because he started acting out sexually in a "normal" way, it makes the chances even smaller.

In these situations I ALWAYS follow my gut instincts. If you have to ask the question, I would definitely be concerned about it. IMHO

OP here: Thank you all for your insights! To the last poster: It's not at all that I have a "gut sense" about it, I was just wondering given the history...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back