1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Show and Tell....ART

Discussion in 'Social' started by Nam, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

I hope to start this thread so that we can see how we are expressing ourselves in other ways. I think it's awesome to have creative outlets....

(Deep Breath) So, since this is my idea....I'll go first. These pics are from a recent mural I had done.. of a Hawaiian sunset for a young girl. (She chose the subject and color scheme...she wanted lots of purple and orange)

Attached Files:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Great stuff Nam... bloody well done. What a great idea for a thread, and I get to see lots of cool stuff... even better. I suck at art, but am pretty creative to say the least... though I don't think many may see the humour if I posted a picture of my arse crack or something on here... sorry, Australian humour that one... I have been known to do worse.

4. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Nam, those are beautiful! I can't paint worth a lick...even suck at painting walls!

Anthony....perhaps you could provide a close-up...and call it, "What in the world?" You know, kinda like the kiddie magazines have those really close-up macro photos of somthing like the middle of a flower or something and they want you to guess what it is....

Er....on second thought...maybe not!:eek:

Enjoy!

5. purdyamos

purdyamos Active Member

Hi Nam,

Those are beautiful. Interestingly, I notice that your *bright* colours are often subdued shades. I'm very interested in how our moods or psyche come through without us even realising at the time. I have actually avoided doing art work that could be seen as therapeutic or mental-related, but I know my soul and problems come out in my work nonetheless.

I'll try and post some of my work in the next few days, but I can't guaruntee my pencil and brush control will be matched by computer-adeptness in uploading the things! This could be a very interesting thread. Especially if Anthony gets involved... :eek:

6. sonrisa

sonrisa Member

Great idea, Nam, and your artwork's great! I've got a CD somewhere with artwork photos saved to it. Used to sell work and do commissions, but haven't done any art for a while, as, if I'm really honest, it's a trigger, but it's bound to return at some point, as these things do! I'll see if I can find something.

Cat

PS Getting a bit nervous about the 'at the crack of dawn' series that could appear! :rofl:

7. anthony

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can't type......

8. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

C'mon people! Post'em! I'm not gonna be the only one!

Nice observation! This was done after PTSD diagnosis. I was definatly nervous and scared that it wouldn't turn out...or yes, that there would be subliminal demons in it...

I haven't painted in a while. Sometimes it's just too painful. It's such a raw thing for me to do. I feel so exposed...especially if it's expressional and not just "can art".

Anthony......is nudity not allowed? Just wondering. :moon:

9. sonrisa

sonrisa Member

With you there, Nam. And, yes, the relief of just painting a nice scene or something was/would be cool, but art kind of grabs you, much like a therapy session probably would I suppose, and pushes you! Anyway, these thoughts are a work in progress, so I'll zip it for now, and see if I can muster up the guts to post something. But my best stuff is life drawing, or is things that could well trigger others, which I don't want to do, so I'll see what I can find!

Cat

10. nml

nml Active Member

Nam....those are wonderful! I can hardly draw stick people much less paint. I am just beginning to start writing again. I havent done any writing since I was a teen. It may not even be worth reading any of it but it helps me. Im dont even know what my talents are as Im just beginning to not walk in others shadows and know me.

11. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Cat,
    You've mentioned that your drawings could trigger others. I don't think that's an issue here. I believe that anything can be a trigger and if we were all thinking of not triggering someone else on this forum, this forum wouldn't be here. Let's put it this way. If it helps you, I wouldn't worry whether or not it'll set someone off. It's worth the risk if it helps you heal.

Most of my artwork is stuffed in a huge portfolio. Most of them are also life drawings... I have a fascination with the beauty of the female body in varying stages of life. I've done series after series on the pregnant female. Not much of my artwork is about how I feel...just too hard. Maybe someday I'll have an oil painting representing my struggles, but right now, I like painting happy thoughts.

12. purdyamos

purdyamos Active Member

Sorry to sound dumb, but how did you get your thumbnails up into your post like that, Nam? Did you put your images on a hosting website then put the urls into 'insert image'? I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to a lot of this interweb stuff.

13. anthony

You don't sound dumb Purdy... it takes everyone time to learn how to use software to its full extent. How Nam did it is:

• When you make a post in the advanced view, not quick reply, if you scroll below the "submit reply" button, you will see more options, where there is a button called "manage attachments".
    • Click that and a window will popup for you to browse to the location of your images, up to five per post including smilies, and then you click "upload".
    • When your images have uploaded, you close that popup and then press "submit reply" on your post, and your post will then attach the images in thumbnail view, and when clicked, open in a new window for users to view the full size image.
    I hope that answers your question... and remember, your not dumb, its natural to need to learn about any software.