• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault Slcpd refuses to take report of s.a. of a minor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it helps...... My LE people take crimes against kids extremely seriously from anyone who reports it - even other kids. We have a specific unit assigned to child victims that has court appointed advocates that work with them the entire time and a therapy dog that can go to court with them if they have to testify.

It breaks my heart to see how it is done in other places

Your experience in Utah doesn't surprise me though. I tried to report an abuse situation there several years ago and while the child services person was really nice she said there was littl she could do. It's sad to hear it is still like that

I believe if I was anywhere else in the U.S. it would be somewhat taken seriously. The attitudes here scare me. I feel unsafe to be a female in the state. You can't get help. I was begging the officer to take the report. Literally begging and his whole demeanor was "I am getting out of here as quick as I can because I don't be involved." Same police department that falsely arrested that nurse because she wouldn't break the law. Maybe that is what I did wrong, I was trying to get the officer to uphold the law, not break it. Silly me.:mad:

Obviously this has become a very personal issue to me because well, I have been in the victims shoes. The victim keeps asking about how does she tell people that she isn't a virgin anymore. I am working very hard to come up with a better response than "tell them it is none of their business" because too many assumptions can be made from that answer." While I certainly didn't believe it when it happened to me, I am I thinking of telling them that virginity is not something that can be taken, only given a way when you goes to do so." What do you guys think?

because too many assumptions can be made from that answer.
Minors? Kids? Are going to be assuming stuff anyway.

To me, "None of your business" is not only completely true, it sends a nice clear message "this isn't a conversation I want to engage in". It's also a response that you can simply repeat, over and over, without elaborating at all, until the person gives up. No thought or emotion required. Nice and simple.

Answering yes or no indicates "I'm ok with you asking me that", and also is going to invite difficult and confronting self-reflection and grief (because, in the generic sense, she has lost her virginity) during conversations that are better just shut down from the outset.

"None of your business", to me, is a great generic response to have ready for a whole range of difficult questions for her. I think you've given her a great response - so when someone asks a question she doesn't want to answer? Or doesn't know how to answer? "None of your business " is a great reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back