• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sleep A Few Hrs, Wide Awake, Brain Is Racing...anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupfish

Confident
Anyone else okay falling asleep, only to wake up around 3am with the mind racing, adrenaline pumping, heart palpitating, full of anxiety and fear? My therapies and recovery has progressed so the nightmares are only occasional but now my sleep is okay except that it is impossible to get back to sleep when you wake up JACKED. I have a great diet, get exercise/yoga, mate, kids, no more trauma, there is no current reason for the inability to get adequate rest.

I have suffered with this for years. It's made worse if I've had alcohol because I'm anxious or upset the evening before. But it happens without alcohol too (like last night:mad:)

If I don't have work the next day, I'll get up, watch TV, go on the internet or whatever, and rest later when I can. If I have to get up, I get up, have a cup of tea and something to eat, and do something, but I give myself a time limit before I try to sleep again.

Alcohol was one of 3 addictions that are now HISTORY. It did help me sleep though. I wake up startled about my workload.

Yes I find night time is the worst time for my thoughts. I wake during the night and my mind travels to all sort of things and is hard to cut it off and go back to sleep. I have an app on my phone that plays relaxing whale music I put this on when struggling to sleep and it does help :)

Yes yes yes! Although, it has gotten better with medication, I still wake up in the morning with anxiety attacks quite often. Actually more like the middle of the day lately because I haven't been making it to bed before the sun comes up.

Your survival hormones are on their own schedule of SURGE! Ugh. I know it well. I get up and do a mindful thing. I feel my pounding heart and talk to it. I calm it down. I realize it's our crazy biology. It goes away after half an hour for me. It is hard to detach and not panic, which exacerbates it further.

It's a possibility too, however slim, that you are super low on potassium or you are highly acidic and your heart isn't getting enough oxygen. Baking soda and water for the latter and Gatorade or banana or high potassium food for the former.

Good to check with the docs too.

When you wake up like that, know that I am with you too most likely. You are not alone.

When I wake up two hours after I went to sleep I get anxious. I try to stay in bed and do relaxation exercises. I might be calmer but I'm still awake and I can't get back to sleep all night. It's the pits. Somehow I make it through the next day.

Yes this happens to me too though I have trouble falling asleep at anytime. I usually just stay in bed as I have to get up early for work - generally I manage to get back to sleep after a couple of hours. It's really annoying as I then don't have long before I'm up for the day again. I found getting up actually only promoted more night wakings as it trained my body clock to think it was okay to wake like this. Meds have helped. But what helps me most is meditations. They can interrupt my spiralling train of thought and get me back to a more relaxed state of mind without too much traffic in there

It's the "wired and tired" thing, and when it starts in the middle of the night and lasts until I collapse in bed for my uninterrupted 5 hours of sleep. Get up and do it all over again. Breathing exercises sometimes help me get back to sleep. If the adrenaline starts, at all, I cannot get back to sleep, ever. So we deal with little rest, and waking hours filled with chemical surges and neurological dysfunction. I made an appointment with my physician to get some blood work done. The comment about diet is so important; I am a fiend on balancing my diet to support wellness. So I eat my bananas too! :) Interesting aside: I just remarried and on my honeymoon was FREE FROM PANIC AND WORRY. I slept and slept, and felt amazing. I have not been free from these burdens for so long I cried it felt so good and so weird.[DOUBLEPOST=1404325138,1404325075][/DOUBLEPOST]Then come Sunday night before returning to work, boom, the anxiety was right back. I think this is really hard on our systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back