• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sleep As A Ptsd Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was diagnosed chronic Ptsd, ADD, depression, anxiety and organic hypersomnia.... Treatment for sleep disorder = dr. Shrugging shoulders. I never wake up feeling rested, EVER! I am constantly late for work and over the years has caused major issues ; skipped over for promotions, deemed unreliable, and is a huge embarrassment because I can't promise my employer I'll be there everyday at 8am. I am going to rehab purposefully to get off psych meds and see if i can regulate my sleep without chemicals, for the first time in over ten years. I hope it helps or gives me some answers because the doctors aren't helping and this is a huge issue. I can sleep for as long as I am able. I once slept for a week straight when I was alone and very depressed. I suffered from insomnia for years until I found Trazadone. Then for a few years I couldn't stay asleep and would wake up 3-4 times a night. Now I can sleep through the night but the morning, I'm a different person. The things I promise and want to do, I just don't get up for. It's a mixture of not waking up and not being able to force myself up. I take 60 mg of ritalin just to get out of bed and I hate ritalin!
Can anyone relate? Have comments?

I sleep about 15 hours a night on weekends. I asked for and got accommodation for being late at work when necessary (almost every day) because I can't function in the mornings. I'm not on any meds but cultated magnesium and vitamin e help me sleep. I've been off caffeine for four months so I have nothing to get me going in the morning. I can override that but with severe consequences the rest of the week. Patience and gentleness. ... not getting upset with myself....is all I can do these days.

Great article!

I wish everyone knew the importance of sleep. Getting my sleep on track was one of the very first things stressed by my first trauma therapist. She told me that without sleep, PTSD symptoms can be greatly increased.....insomnia is the symptom magnifier. It took quite awhile for my sleep to get on track, and it still goes quite astray from time to time. Its hard because I require a lot more rest time and sleep than the average person. I wish I could fix that, but maybe......well, you know how the normal brain needs sleep in order to "reset"? Well maybe since my brain gets quite a bit off track on a regular basis, that I need a lot more sleep in order to "reset". Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back