1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow In The Uk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hashi, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

2. amethist

amethist The Mystic Duck Staff Member Premium Member

Not been out today Hashi, except to feed the birds and put the rubbish out.

It has not been too bad for us as we only got the tail end of it, being in West Yorkshire. Looks like we will get more of the same tomorrow at some point.

The temperature is dropping now though and it is getting darker.
  3. amethist

My grandchildren making snow angels last night.

Kayleigh snow angel.

harry snow angel.
  4. KP the nut

KP the nut Tigger is back Staff Member Premium Member

We've had about 6 inches, it is deeper where it has drifted.

It began snowing on Thursday afternoon and didn't stop until this morning. The roads around us were trecherous yesterday, a lot of folk stayed at home. H drove me to work, his plan was then to head out and give the dogs a long walk. Bad idea, he dropped me off and returned home. I'd taken my boots to work and H returned (on foot) with the dogs to walk me home.

It is a little pathetic the way a little snow can bring our entire infrastructure to a stand still.

The dogs are loving it, Max keeps pretending he is a snow plough and pushes the snow around with his nose. It was lovely to see the children sledging and playing out, nice memories for them and an unexpected day off school.
  5. Abstract

Abstract VIP Member Premium Member

It always amuses me how much dogs seem to love it. Especially when it only happens now and then. They are hilarious to watch.

Take care KP as that sounds a little tricky.

In London it doesn't seem too bad actually. I haven't been out today but not much seems to have fallen. More forecasted for tomorrow so we shall see. Quite enjoying it really as it has been an insipid winter.

Stay safe and warm everyone. Some hot soup and some thermals Hashi! Amethist - sweet!
  6. KP the nut

Yes, that was lunch yesterday after walking home.
    gizmo, Hashi and Abstract like this.
  7. KP the nut

8. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

Unfortunately, I'd have to make it first - it's still in whole vegetable form in the fridge.

Drinking a lot of Mu (herb) tea, though. :coldfeet:

I would like to do that.
    gizmo, CraftyCath and Abstract like this.
  9. Abstract

Hmmm...that I would like to see. If you are fond of it and want to keep it it may not be such a good idea though! :troll:

Mu tea sounds good. Best you make a whole lot as there are another 4 to 8 cms coming our way. :wideeyed:
    gizmo, CraftyCath and Hashi like this.
  10. Ice_Fire

Ice_Fire Keep your head up, Keep your heart strong Premium Member

Turning to sleet now. Still plenty of snow about, but our roads etc haven't been affected. The snow is still looking pretty, but the ice is a problem, pavements are too bad to use.

Have some pictures I'll post later as I'm on my phone right now. :D
  11. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

Oh oh.

Here we have snowy snow falling again. Nice for skiing. If this was a mountain, which it isn't.

It's looking very pretty... from the inside looking out. Glad I don't have to go out in it.
    Abstract, gizmo and CraftyCath like this.
  12. Ice_Fire

Ice_Fire Keep your head up, Keep your heart strong Premium Member

View from my living room yesterday:
    home.
    --- Double Post Merged Automatically, Jan 20, 2013 ---
    It's so dark and dreary outside it looks like I took it in black and white! :eek:
    rainy_daze, Abstract, gizmo and 5 others like this.
  13. CraftyCath

CraftyCath Flying Free Premium Member

I have posted my snowy pics here...

https://www.ptsdforum.org/c/threads/photos-of-nature-where-you-live.12455/page-35

I went for a walk with my son down to the next village and along the linear park (a disused railway line turned into a park). It was hard going under foot and very slippery but we managed about 5 miles.:tup:

It soon turned into ice and although the main roads are clear, the ones in the village froze over. Still, the local children loved it!

It has mostly gone now here and seems to be worse in the North East. They have forecast more for tomorrow but it is just so cold I can't get warm.

I may have to resort to turning on the gas fire.
  14. amethist

Get a fluffy blanket, hot soup and gas fire on Cath.

The next wave has been forecast to hit us anytime after 9 pm tonight, through until late tomorrow.
  15. CraftyCath

CraftyCath Flying Free Premium Member

:eek: I don't think I could BE any colder! Brrrrrrr! I've got the fluffy blanket Amethist and H is making bacon butties later so I just need to get the fire on.:tup:

More snow means more photos though and they're always nice to see.;)
    Abstract, gizmo and Hashi like this.
  16. KP the nut

It is still snowing here. I'm not out tomorrow but H is back at work.
    Abstract, gizmo, Hashi and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

I thought it was a black and white photo! That's amazing.

I looked out of the window last night about 2.00am (not snowing but everything covered in white) and it was so bright in the moonlight it was like winter daytime.
    rainy_daze, Abstract and gizmo like this.
  18. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

I've resorted to hoovering.

Cath, I looked at your lovely photos of the park. You were brave to go for such a long walk!
    CraftyCath, Abstract and gizmo like this.
  19. KP the nut

Hashi, the local news showed tigers playing in the snow at a local safari park. The keepers had build snowmen in the enclosure and the tigers just couldn't figure them out. Like my dogs, these tigers were playing and chasing one another.
  20. Abstract

I am not cold!! But I have the heating set to 22 degrees. :barefoot:

I have not risked sticking my nose outside but it is beautiful and very bright here too because of all the white.

Not keen on the ice, Ice_Fire when that happens.
    CraftyCath, Hashi and gizmo like this.
  21. KP the nut

It is still snowing here. It began on Thursday, yesterday (Sat) was dry and then it has been snowing all day again today.

H cleared our driveway this morning and we must have had another 2 inches which has stuck.

Please can I be a hibernating bear.
    CraftyCath, Hashi and Abstract like this.
  22. amethist

It started to melt here today, but now it has been snowing again since around 9.30.

It is only the fine stuff, no big flakes. So not really expecting there to much depth to it in the morning.
    CraftyCath, Abstract and Hashi like this.
  23. KP the nut

It may suprise you Amethist. Ours today has been fine(ish) but steady all day and we've had another inch or so.
  24. amethist

I hope its not bad as I have to get hubby to the dentist in the morning, and he has to go.

We are going by train though, so fingers crossed.
  25. KP the nut

I'll keep fingers crossed for you both.