• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General So What Happens During Hospitalization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what your hospitalised for? If it's under the mental health act it depends in what section , everyone different with the level of support they require and what their diagnosis is. Without further information it would be hard to answer this. Wish you well.

I'm not sure about inpatient treatment, but I'm in a partial hospitalization program that's been incredibly helpful. It's designed to last about two or three weeks, long enough to stabilize in a crisis but not an ongoing thing. It's a much better option for me than being admitted to the psych unit. I get to go home at the end of the day but I still have access to plenty of support if I need it. There's group therapy, education about medication or coping skills, with some recreational and exercise stuff too- that's part of being healthy, so we're learning the importance of having fun and being active. If you're able to reach out for help instead of harming yourself, I'd really recommend checking into a partial program instead of inpatient- unless you're lucky enough to get a chance at one of the rare few trauma-focused inpatient programs.

First, he's in USA so I don't how that differs from country to country. I considered calling 911 when he told me that he had an actual suicide plan. I discussed it with him, but he said he'd call his T. I told him to please tell his T everything he told me and he said he always does. I get the impression that they mutually decided he needed hospitalization, and that he had to go through some type of process to arrange the time off from work. It's not a situation where a hotline was called and he was taken in by ambulance. I don't know any details. He posted on Facebook that he was going on vacation but when I texted about the vacation he told me what it really was. I was at work when I found out. I didn't ask too much because I was working and I didn't want to push if he wasn't offering. Now I don't know where he is or when I'll hear from him again. I'm upset because I have no details. And I'm curious about what happens I treatment. I don't know if he's able to contact me, or just doesn't what to at this point, which is ok for now. I know he needs to work on this. So I thought maybe on here I could at least gain a little insight.

I believe it varies by country and probably even state. In Canada you can be detained against your will under the mental health act if a law enforcement officer/ems (*feels) believes you may be a threat to yourself and or others. If I recall, it works similarly in the UK. But in those instances you can only be held pending psychiatric assessment.

Otherwise as a voluntary admission, as long as you have not told hospital staff that you are feeling like you may harm yourself or others. It is no different than going into emergency for say, a broken bone.
You should have free reign of the place until you are seen by the psychiatrist on call or discharge yourself.

One thing I can say for sure, it was not an enjoyable experience. Hours of boredom, with nothing to do other than think about what brought you there in the first place.

As for how helpful it will be? That really depends on what you feel will be helpful. Most likely you will be given an assessment, then receive a referral to a psychologist. You may also be booked an appointment with a psychiatrist for a full assessment/diagnosis and possibly prescribed medication.

When I've been inpatient (and I'm in the US) I was allowed to call out on their phones, but I couldn't have my phone. So prior to being admitted, I wrote down any important numbers. For both times, one was a suicide attempt and one was thoughts- I was in there a week. They were going to keep me longer with the attempt, but I was on a bad unit and they didn't have an opening on the other one. I was honestly triggered worse inpatient, so plans were made for me to be discharged to parents care and a new therapist.

The second time was my choice. I knew I was heading down the same road and needed the help. That time I got on the better unit and it really helped me. They got me back on my meds (I had come off due to money).

For what it's worth, my son was admitted to the state psych hospital when he was 18 and suicidal. He was there for 22 days and it was fantastic. It really helped him. My daughter and I got to bring him dinner every night and stay for an hour. I know his football coach and a few players visited him. What I liked about it was how medical it was. His psychiatrist was awesome. They kept him active and safe and I got to sleep not worrying if he'd be dead the next day. It changed his life. They got through to him.

At this point I don't know what to think. I got a Facebook status update that he posted, a link to a tattoo page. So I temporarily signed back on to Facebook. I looked for it in my notifications but it wasn't there and it wasn't on his page either. All the other ones I got were there. So it seems as if he blocked me from getting updates but it came through because I deactivated before he blocked it, of something. Idk. I'm still in his friends. I didn't text and ask him anything but I could see he has his phone. Now I don't know what I believe. I don't know if I can take much more. If it's somehow related to ptsd then I won't say anything but I just don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back