• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Social security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to talk a little about my experience applying for SSDI and how I tried to take my denial of benefits as a hope I wouldn't need it.

To try and make a long story short. I have worked labor intensive jobs most of my life. It was not until I had an opportunity to apply for the skilled trades that I truly got to test my physical abilities and learn the labor laws. My spine gave out as I attempted to fulfill my job duty of relocating rigid bundles of conduit to a roof. It jeopardized my ability to walk. I got terribly sick months afterwords. I had to get a lawyer to help me handle things. The lawyer advised I may want to pursue Social Security just in case I would need it. I had worked every year of my life as soon as I was old enough to. Whether is was part time or full time. I paid in. And got notifications from social security about credits I had earned.

Well my first encounter I heard the judge was known to be fair. That I had a good shot. But I was still hopeful the doctors could come up with a treatment plan that would help. But I was in a terrible condition still getting used to how to control my body with a spinal cord injury. And psoriasis lesions that made it painful to move or walk. I still got up and managed with a cane.

The judge found that because I did not have medical treatment after my initial injury on the job. I had been medically non compliant. Although I had signed up for state health insurance, they said there was a year long waiting list. Yet the judge felt I did not do enough about it. And therefore it is my fault I am in the situation I am in. The second thing was that they did not have any work history on me. Even though social security itself had sent me statements on what I paid into. The judge did not have that evidence available. So the judge could not include any work history at that time, although my lawyer stood up and at least mentioned what I had done the last 4 years of my life. I guess I should of brought all my proof of work with me. And the third thing was a medical record of a visit to an ER. I had reported to an ER personal that I had been looking for work. And they entered that I had a job. So the judge said I have no evidence whether or not you are or are not working at this time.

The judge said I was young and I will probably heal up if I take my medical treatments more seriously. Although I was upset. I felt they must know in some way what I was going through. And who am I to argue with a judge. I was yet to start a new type of treatment that I was hopeful about anyway. The judge had also said. If you can polish silver with your breathe, you can find a job.

So I did not appeal. Instead I started new treatments and physical therapies as well as pursuing as many opinions from groups of doctors just to be sure. This took up most of my time throughout the week. I could not commit to anything because of all the treatments and check ups I had to go in for. But I still got dressed up and went on job interviews and applied for part -time. I never got hired. But employers encouraged me to try again in the future once my medical situation improves.

Some things I was able to make an impact on health wise anyway I still hope. But physical damage to my spine has been a huge obstacle only those with a SCI can understand. So I reapplied for my SSDI. First they accidentally denied me is what I heard. Then I was told because I haven't returned to work in so many years now, I lose all the benefits or credits I had worked for. And that means I default to a minimal. But my new lawyer has been supportive and helpful. I just have to wait until next year for a hearing.

By this time I have treatments almost every mon-friday for a couple of years. And I'm exhausted. I see a therapist once every 6 weeks. But they want me to see someone more regularly to show I am treating enough. My doctors said physical therapy no longer makes a difference. I will need multiple surgeries after the initial fusion in my c2-c3 to start. I told her I use this forum. But I guess it doesn't count towards treatment. I'm not sure what else I can do to comply really. My living situation has gotten very difficult. But at least I have a place like this to talk about it on. I felt alone through much of it for many reasons for a long time.

I searched online for therapists I could talk to over the internet. But they are not from my state and sure don't accept the health insurance. I'd have to pay out of my pocket. And even then, my lawyer said out of state treatment may only complicate social security. It's another form of stress I try not to over think. Whatever they want me to do I'll do. I just want to do everything I can to stay out of a wheelchair if I can help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back