• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Social Worlds & Trauma Survey - University Of Sussex

Status
Not open for further replies.
This survey has been set-up by the Trauma Research Network (TRN), based at the University of Sussex. Led by Professor Rupert Brown, we research how people's social worlds impact their response to a traumatic or very stressful event. The results will feed directly into PTSD treatment, and help change lives.

This survey will ask you questions about your relationships, your social identity, and how you talk to other people about your feelings. It will also ask you about the traumatic event and any traumatic symptoms you may experience. To take part please go to: Link Removed

Thank you in advance for your time,

Sarah Woodhouse
Doctoral Researcher & Associate Tutor, University of Sussex

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think a 'new member' should be on this forum asking people to complete a survey. I know I wouldn't answer it. I think this type of post should be removed immediately.

I have completed the survey. For me the lack of clarity I felt was in the references to relationships. Lumping them together under the heading of close relationships was really confusing. I have entirely different relationships with close female friends than I do with male partners. I don't find it difficult to be comfortable and emotionally intimate with friends, but male partners are another ball game. This really muddied the waters for me.

I found it hard to answer some of the questions. It seems to view traumatic experience as one specific incident which child abuse rarely is, and also asks a lot of questions about how other people reacted after the event or react to knowing about it now which assumes that other people knew about it or know about it, which again is not always the case, but there didn't seem to be an option in the questions for it not to be a trauma known to other people.

I have just completed the survey, and while I appreciate that it is difficult to adequately cover all of the possible scenarios, I agree with the comments before - I am concerned that the survey is too generalised to effectively understand the impact of different trauma. In my case I lost a family member in a serious accident, then lost a sibling to suicide, I then also lost touch with my entire extended family, so already the waters were muddied when I was asked to select one event to focus on as they are all inextricably linked. That said I do think that with adequate participation and feedback from people on the site, researchers will hopefully be able to develop future surveys that ask the right questions and develop future research that is of more value.

That said I do think that with adequate participation and feedback from people on the site, researchers will hopefully be able to develop future surveys that ask the right questions and develop future research that is of more value.
Hopefully. It would have been useful to them to have had an 'other comments' box at the end for people to give feedback on the survey.

@anthony .. I didn't know there was a specific section for the and I can't read the fine print where it says it's in the study and research section. Maybe instead of telling me I should read something consider I might not be able to read that small of stuff.

<offensive content removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with previous comments that the survey doesn't fit with complex trauma or more than one trauma. I tried but found it impossible to talk about one event as if it was separate from all other events. I think it would be better to restrict the scope to single incident trauma. I'm afraid I can't really see how the answers can be helpful for other contexts.

I agree that it doesn't seem to fit a situation where other people aren't aware of the trauma.

I also have to comment that some items on the list of things in the past seven days (the intrusive thoughts, getting upset, avoiding reminders type list) didn't offer a way to indicate whether it might be a healthy use of coping strategies or not. For example, dealing with the feelings at certain times and using distraction to not think about it at others could end up looking like half the time I'm unhealthily trying to numb, when actually I'm using coping skills to enable processing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back