• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Some Recent Bird Pictures From The California High Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.

James B.

MyPTSD Pro
Hello everyone!

Greetings again from the Mojave desert. It's getting warm out here! LOL. We've had a really varied spring; lots of cooler weather and even rain. Anyway, here's a few new bird pics and stuff. I will post these as thumbnails so hopefully this thread will load reasonably fast for those with lesser bandwidth (eg: dial-up). So please, just click on the thumbnail to see the pic full size...if you like. :)

This is a neat bird. The Phenopepla. It has a very mild and pleasant song.
Phenopepla.JPG

These House Finches are sad - they look sad! - because they just lost their nest and eggs to an invader.
I felt sorry for them.
House Finches.JPG

What a cool and mellow snake, this Rosy Boa (maybe 3 feet long) lives in my front yard. It is a top ranked mouser! LOL.
Rosy-Boa.JPG

Another hard working desert bird; the Ladderbacked woodpecker with it's amazing high-speed drilling beak!
Ladder Backed woodpecker.JPG

Here's another image of the woodpecker - I think it was very aware of me as I was taking the pic.
Ladder Backed woodpecker 2.JPG

Alright, here's some flowers to round out the first post.
flowers.JPG

And this, edited with Gimp using the "cartoon" filter and stuff.
flowers 2.JPG

Thanks for the great pictures. Really enjoyed seeing them all. Those birds have sharp eyesight! We notice the crows watching us here.

Hello seedling...so nice to hear from you. :) Thank you for the nice comment. Hope you are doing well.

Well, gotta show off my Beavertail cactus. This is one of the plants I rescued last year; it was getting buried in sediment. So I dug 'em out, built a stone retaining wall and watered them a little, especially during the driest part of last summer and..shazam! Look out! LOL. Nice blossoms huh?
Beavertail-cactus.JPG

Here's a lucky shot of a kinda rare bird, I think. It's a Say's Phoebe. Odd name. Nice bird about the size of a sparrow.
Say\'s Phoebe.JPG

And finally a good detail of Gambel's quail. They pretty much "own" the neighborhood. LOL. This image, ity had a strange effect on me...I stared at it. The bird sort of appeared slightly human or like a "relative" Odd.
Gambel\'s Quail.JPG

The quail made me think of Genghis Khan for some reason. It looks highly dignified. Do you have any odd urges to gallop horses across grasslands and invade other tribal lands?

Hello Sammy! So nice to hear from you. Seedling - lol - nope, sorry...(too funny) no relation to Genghis Khan that I know of. The quail do seem very dignified though! A few more...

Major cactus blossoms.
blossoms-1.JPG

Joshua tree national park blossoms.
blossoms-2.JPG

For all the snake lovers; Rosy Boa.
rosy-boa-full.JPG

Sharpshinned hawk on patrol. Taken yesterday PM.
Sharpshinned hawk.JPG

Five, count 'em 5 super cute baby Gambel quail chicks - brand new! This image is bit rough - shot with max zoom. The parent Quail were nervous enough with me that close.
5-Quail-chicks.JPG

Thanks for all the nice comments and messages, everyone. Hope everyone is doing alright. Things with me are going really great - very lucky. Anyway...how 'bout a few more pics? :D

This is Mt. San Jacinto plastered in winter dress - taken from my front yard with a tripod.
San-jacinto-winter.JPG

The smallest non-hovering bird in North America: Verdin.
verdin.JPG

Spring was super-intense here - much rain bringing many blossoms. This is a Yucca blossoming in full.
Yucca-Blossoms-1.JPG

And another Yucca in full bloom.
Yucca-Blossoms-2.JPG

Some kinda "artsy" self portrait.
Self-portrait.JPG

Here's another image of the woodpecker - I think it was very aware of me as I was taking the pic.

:) Hello James, when looking closely it looks to me like the woodpecker is observing you through its peripheral.

Smiling, and Always I enjoy you pic's! Today I'm noticing that I can view them as a slide-show.

Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back