• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Someone Changed My Info At My Dr.s Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadeaway

MyPTSD Pro
I called to make an appointment today and they told me that my information said that I had moved out of state and they transferred my records. I am freaking out so bad right now. They couldn't give me any information or tell me anything but I filed with the privacy office. They said it would take 2 days to get back to me. My Ex's wife has posed as me several times in the past. I feel sick right now and there is nothing I can do but wait on the investigation.

It could be a mistake, I hope and pray it is. However, with medical privacy laws it is a pretty huge mistake. It also follows a pattern by my abusive ex where he once got Social Security to send my mail to him instead.

Oh damn.

First of all, were you able to make the appointment? Or is the clinic totally refusing all info and refusing to schedule?

If so, you could send them a written letter, signed, requesting to inspect your records in full, and cite their privacy practices notice - many have the notice online, and the clinic should also provide one easily upon request.

Did the clinic have a signed consent form to transfer the records to another clinic? They should have required that. If they did obtain this form, and your wife completed it fraudulently, then sadly, the responsibility would fall on your wife for committing fraud... Hopefully wherever they sent the records is a HIPAA protected location though, and that location should provide you a copy of anything upon your request.

Did you file an internal complaint with the clinic? or with OCR with HHS as a HIPAA grievance?

All around a crappy situation. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I hope they call you bad soon and say "oh, our mistake..." and provide you what you need quickly!

Have you talked to your wife about this? It's a felony in most states to impersonate someone else... very serious...

And yeah, a huge mistake on part of the clinic too, if they knew it was her and not you and/or didn't get the proper authorizations.

Just to clarify, it would be my Ex's wife. I have already filled an internal complaint and I will be filling with everyone I can once I know more.

I am a female my ex is male, I haven't spoken to him in 12 years but he has a pattern he repeats. Every time he has evaded the law in the past.

Oh your ex's wife... if you have any evidence of either of them doing this in the past, and/or you uncover evidence of them doing it again now, I agree with the recommendation to call the police. This is very serious felony that would land either of them in prison.

Gosh, I do hope it is a simple mix-up. Glad you already are in touch with the right people at the clinic and I hope they sort it out fast.

I would think that with the Hippa laws in place and if the ex is involved..... f*cking heads are going to roll. If someone did this, it's now, I believe a federal offense. This isn't small change chump, this is huge......

@Fadeaway Keep going with this, and I hope that you can find out if anyone was behind this, and then stick it to them. If it turns out to be an accidental paperwork screw up, you make heads roll too..... just not acceptable either way!!!!,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back