1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Something That Veiled Brought Up

Discussion in 'General' started by She Cat, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

In the THREAD FROM HELL.....Veiled made this statement....

"You know how if someone is rude you think to yourself "sheesh that guy needs to pull that stick out of his ass" or any bad thought... Well, you may think it, a PTSDer says it before they even know what flew out of their mouth."

It has bothered me since I read it, and thought that a new thread might just help me, and possibly others...

My family and friends....Have said to me for as long as I can remember, "Do you EVER THINK, before you SPEAK?" I guess not!!!!!! I have gotten myself in more shit with my mouth, probably more than any other aspect of PTSD. Well maybe not, but damn close to it....:biggrin:

I now tell others that people with PTSD think with their EMOTIONS, thus we say what we feel, without really thinking.....

Just would like some input as to what others think....NOT FEEL....THINK!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Wen

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Well, I know, from experience. I heard more than once to think before I spoke. Took forever before I finally did. I literally had to stop and think to myself is this a good idea to say or should I reword it to something more palatable? People got delayed responses for a long time but I did practice well enough that my mouth does not pass checks my ass can't cash anymore. This is just something we learn in time as many other impulse control issues we have. Practice practice!

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I, too, have heard that lovely little quote thrown at me more times than I can count. Especially when my opinon was different from the person saying it.

Working with the public and the corporate world have taught me how to really bite down on my tongue (sometimes literally) to keep my feelings inside. Especially when I'm dealing with someone who needs to be slapped more than anything else in life.

I now save my feelings and opinions for people who really matter to me...family and friends. To the rest of the world, I'm whatever mask I choose to put on for them.

Lisa

5. She Cat

My family has said more than once (ok maybe a million times) that I lack tact.....My daughter would tell me that I am pessimistic.......and I would always defend myself by saying.....I am NOT pessimistic. I am a realist, I say it as I see it. I don't sugar coat anything.....

I have learn (a little) to bite my tongue.....Just a little..LOL!!!!!!

Wen

6. cactus_jack

cactus_jack Well-Known Member

Heh heh heh! BOY, do *I* know about this or what! LOL! So much trouble I wouldn't be in right now if only I had kept my damn mouth shut. Sad part is, I don't mouth off unless I know I'm right. Some people just can't stand the truth, I guess.

7. metis-siren

metis-siren Active Member

I've said that so many times in the past. I'm better at it now, but I'm still often considered to be the blunt person out of the group. I suppose if that meant a friend wanted an opinion on an outfit, that might be okay (situation pending) but I've learned how to either bite my tongue, or cover my ass, lol.

8. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

thinking with emotions

that's all me.
    i am 100% emotions, extroverted, Type A plus, what you see is what you get, blunt honesty, writing verbal checks my ass can't cash at full volume. Luckily, I am medicated.

9. She Cat

I am so happy that I am not alone in the Diarrhea Mouth Club :biggrin::biggrin:....Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. I am glad that i'm not alone though....Thanks for keeping me company all of you....

Wen

10. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

all of us

What would we all be like, all together? All cussin up a storm! I'll bring the tater chips.

11. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I think we'd all laugh ourselves silly!

Yer, the whole speak before you think has had me backtracking plenty of times!

bec

12. jods

jods Well-Known Member

Hey I'm guilty of that at times too but I don't have PTSD. My real friends call it my "pointing out the obvious moments", LOL!

13. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Yep, done some damage with that one prior. I must admit I do really try nowadays to think first before allowing my brain to open my mouth and put myself deeper in the shit pile. It has certainly lessened my shit depth nowadays.