• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Standing up for myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWeepingRose

Confident
Before I used to let people walk all over me and I never once stood up for myself because I thought I was mean, aggressive and I'd let people get away with things because I thought inside my head if I ever stood up for myself once that they wouldn't be my friend anymore or talk to me so I figured I'd just allow anyone to walk all over me because I should be grateful since I saw myself as a loser, stupid and worthless.

My self esteem was so low and I didn't like anything about myself. This is what my abuser ((x)) saw and he took it to his advantage. Now I've managed to pull myself through many obstacles and it took a long time for me to get where I'm at. I pulled myself through and started to do nice things for myself, speak up and make choices because before I was hush, silenced and told I was being dramatic, too sensitive or emotional which I knew I wasn't. My abuser just wanted to silence me and shut me up until nothing was left of me.

Now I feel a lot happier about who I am as a person and feel a bit different too. It's all very hard to explain but I've been standing up for myself and putting myself first for once and it feels great!! I'm taking care of myself, I'm eating right, I'm taking up new hobbies and I'm helping others who need it but I still remember to take care of myself because nobody can do it but me.

Self-care and self-empowerment can often seem to be only a distant wish, but once something "clicks" and you actually arrive, it's such a beautiful thing. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back