• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Starting Emdr For Complex Ptsd (mild Brain Injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

micky

Learning
hi all.
I am starting emdr for complex ptsd after having a few bad car accidents this past few years.i am unable to work.i am having really bad short term memory and concentration problems since the last accident.i got a mild brain injury from that.my doctor said I had pysd and then the last accident caused me to have complex ptsd.the tests all came back clear from brain scans etc..,but I am not the same person.
Is emdr a treatment that can go on years or is it a quick fix?
will it help my memory/concentration problems?

Is emdr a treatment that can go on years or is it a quick fix?
will it help my memory/concentration problems?
It could help address any of the cognitive problems you are having that are resulting from PTSD. It won't address tissue damage and the issues that are a result of that. So, you won't know exactly what to expect, you'll need to give it a try and see.

There's nothing saying that EMDR for people with TBI is a problem - but some sources I've read recommend an experienced EMDR practitioner for anyone who has TBI, epilepsy, stroke, or any other neuro-diagnosis.

Have they recommended anything else for working on the memory problems? In the US, there are various approaches to this, but they all basically rely on the idea that using the brain makes it stronger. Simple memory 'games' can help re-build neurological function, sometimes.

when the scans came back clear (cat scan/mri),they said that if it was post concussion syndrome,that only lasts 12 months.i still have the headaches and memory/concentration problems.it seems my working memory is really bad.
a lot of the symptoms I have are like that someone with ADHD,but I never had them before the accident.one of the doctors said that ptsd and mild brain injury are very alike.
They will probably have to do the memory tests ect... before they deside that I need the help. I tried the working memory tests on line and I was terrible!

when the scans came back clear (cat scan/mri),they said that if it was post concussion syndrome,that only lasts 12 months.
Ah, sorry, I missed that the scans were clear.

It's very possible, then, that you're dealing with a mental health issue. Personally, I've not had these problems with PTSD, but I have had them with depression - when it is very very bad I have trouble remembering enough to say a sentence - stringing words together is hard. And I've read from people on this board that they've had similar issues with PTSD.

I'd say, go through the EMDR, it may help.

I will try EMDR.i had ptsd before and got treatment for it. then this accident happened,it was only minor accident,but I had a mild brain injury(concussion).I have not been the same since.iv been told I have complex PTSD(+ dissociation/derealisation) from the last minor accident.the psychiatrist think my symptoms are more from the mild brain injury.he sent me to a neurologist and he thinks its complex ptsd! this is going on 4 years now.
Is it not only coming out now about the long term effects of people that have a few concusions( American football players).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back