• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Stress, Anxiety And Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan_768

New Here
I really believe that weight, stress, anxiety and sleep are interconnected, and, personally, I have trouble keeping them in balance. For the last forty five days I am having the problem of Stress and Anxiety. First I thought it is something usual when I could not sleep properly. But now it is the stress and anxiety that I can’t sleep properly I want help desperately. I can’t figure out what is wrong. I need mental relaxation. I even tried to do meditation but couldn’t concentrate. What can I do?

Hi Jordan,

Weight is usually more inter-related to depression. Anxiety is stress, so they are one if you like... can't get much more related than that. Anxiety most definately affects sleep. If your anxious when you try and rest, your brain doesn't want to sleep, it wants to think so much that you can't invoke sleep.

I need mental relaxation. I even tried to do meditation but couldn’t concentrate.

I'm experiencing the same. In the past I have tried to meditate but couldn't concentrate and my mind would wander off. Now when I attempt to meditate, wether with a therapist or with a chanting group, I started crying and hyperventilate even though I'm not consciously scared of anything. Its very odd, but most of all its inconvenient because I need to meditate because my stress level is high, I have stressfull dreams throughout the night and I am riddled with anxiety.

Maybe you used self yoga to cope

Hi
I too tried to use yoga, relaxation therapy etc to cope with anxiety, lack of sleep, hypervigilance etc. During one group therapy session I realized that I had taught myself (unwittingly) how to "mediate" so that I could zone out and cope with sexual abuse at night by my uncle. I did not even realize that I had done that, especially since I was only 6 at the time it began.
Now I am frustrated that what is "relaxation" for others causes unbearable stress and anxiety for me. I cannot get through this to a place where I can relax.

Trying not to post in detail but what you are describing is disassociation. Normal for PTSD but is not meditation.

Whats the difference between meditation and disassociation? and whats the difference between those and self hypnosis? I confused!

There was a programme on tv last week that showed you eat more if you're sleep deprived. Is that because of high sugar = energy or comfort eating because of lack of sleep? They didn't explain it, just said that the calorie intake was higher. I crave sugar when I'm tired. Guess its for energy, sort of self medicating. It doesn't work though!

With relaxation in all its forms eg yoga, meditation etc it takes practise. When I first did it I got flashbacks and couldn't stand the change of pace. When I stopped and came back to the real world so to speak it was like I was turbo charged and it frightened me. I'm better at it now. It will come, it takes practise and I think it also depends on the stage you are at healing from the trauma.

hang in there, it took 2 yrs, but i am finally sleeping some. i think you just have to get to the point of being able to look your trauma in the face, and make yourself stay in the present.

Stress, anxiety, weight, sleep and depression are interconnected, I agree...

Stress and anxiety lead to poor sleep both in quality and quantity, which can lead you to become more stressed and anxious about not being able to sleep. The insomniac's vicious cycle...

Depression can also lead to insomnia and weight loss but there is a subtype of depression that sees people sleeping more and gaining weight instead.

Weight can also change with stress levels depending on coping styles. Some people when they are stressed turn to comfort foods, others skip meals and so you will see both ends of the spectrum.

I caved in to sleep medications after years of trying to cope without. If you don't like the idea of taking them nightly, one of the strategies is to try to get a full sleep 3 nights in a row to "reset" the sleep cycle and see if you do better after that. I found they also help with nightmares etc - the theory according to my old therapist was that falling asleep and circumventing the worry and anxiety as you lay there unable to sleep can decrease anxiety dreams/nightmares.

Anyway hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back