1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Struggling With Addictive Personality

Discussion in 'General' started by Junie-pie, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Junie-pie

Junie-pie Member

As I've restarted my self-harm free life, I seem to have taken a liking to touching and picking at my face. I know it's bad for me and it doesn't look pretty after I do it but it calms me down. I feel as if I'm detoxifying myself. It's a strange new addiction. I just don't know how to stop now. I also have taken a liking to drinking 4+ coffees throughout the morning all the way into the late afternoon. No matter how jittery I know it makes me I just can't stop. Even though I crash around 9 pm. Even though I know my anxiety goes through the roof.
    I know I have an addictive personality, but with an allergy to alcohol and my inability to take anything stronger than 1 normal ibuprofen, I have to turn to other ways of stimulating myself. I feel as if I just sway back and forth between barely being able to focus and focusing way too much on one trivial thing.
    I don't know where this cycle ends. I don't know what to do. I feel so lost.
    I'm addicted to being addicted to things.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. mrsmegan

mrsmegan Active Member Premium Member

To you go to therapy?

I am also wondering if you might benefit from doing something like DBT to help you feel a bit more in control.

4. Junie-pie

Junie-pie Member

B/c of my current situation (Living with emotionally abusive parents who don't believe in therapy) I can't go to therapy without risking serious trouble.