• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Study finds greater attention to surprise in veterans with ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scientists have found that people with PTSD have an increased learning response to surprising events. While most everyone reacts to surprise, people with PTSD tend to pay even more attention to the unexpected.
HOnDVFcM23U

Dead Link Removed

Same here, and I'm not a veteran, either. I don't know why everyone associates PTSD with veterans like it's a disorder for veterans only.... Being in the military isn't even the number 1 cause of PTSD in men or women.
Every time when I jump or scream when my brother creeps up in the hallway or something, he laughs really loudly. And he knows I have PTSD. Because he's caused most of it. Talk about living with a constant trigger....

I don't know why everyone associates PTSD with veterans like it's a disorder for veterans only
In research, having as much control over your test group as possible is important to the validity of the findings.
Chiu and her team used functional MRI to scan the brains of 74 veterans, all of whom had experienced trauma while serving at least one combat tour in Afghanistan or Iraq. Some of the study participants were diagnosed with PTSD, while others were not.

Yeah, some people generally connect PTSD with war trauma. But when you see studies based on responses from vets, it's for a few important reasons - and one of those is, it helps focus the participation criteria. Notice, in the study above, these were vets who did at least one combat tour in specified locales. Not just 'vets'.

Ultimately, this becomes part of a body of information that benefits all of us, because it moves the scientific understanding of PTSD forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
In research, having as much control over your test group as possible is important to the validity of...
...You can sub-categorize all types of trauma... Would you like me to provide examples?

Would you like me to provide examples?
No, not really. You're missing the point. I'm talking about identifying and recruiting a documented group, for study.

Sure, a participant group can be comprised of any number of factors - but recruiting is more time/labor intensive, and confirming the participant qualifications can be difficult. A study is only as strong (or useful) as its participation factors. Having accessible government records, plus easy ways of contacting the desired target group, makes veterans ideal participants.

It's research that benefits everyone. I'm not sure why you think it doesn't.

No, not really. You're missing the point. I'm talking about identifying and recruiting a documente...
um when did i say research isn't beneficial?

You said it helps focus the participation criteria. As in, not generalizing. You can sub-categorize anything... You can get study participants anywhere. You see signs up everywhere for it. There was one I saw in school for OCD. If researchers said "f^#& you" to sexual assault survivors, we wouldn't have the studies and research we have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back