1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Sugar Pill or Antidepressant to Treat Depression?

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

The ground-breaking STAR*D study results published last year illustrated how the majority of people who take an antidepressant actually continue to have significant depressive symptoms. These results were surprising to some, but not me.

Why? Because back in 2002, folks like Irving Kirsch, Ph.D. and David Antonuccio, Ph.D. were already pointing out how much antidepressant research doesn’t show significant clinical effects over placebo, or a sugar pill (the counterpoint argument should also be read for balance). The first article discusses how much research shows that people taking the sugar pill experienced only a 2-point difference on the depression test they used. While statistically significant, 2 points has virtually no clinical significance. That is, a person who scores 26 versus 28 really doesn’t feel any less depressed.

Researchers with a critical eye have long held that many clinical trials have significant flaws that make their results less than compelling.

The one positive that came out of the STAR*D studies are that people who kept trying different antidepressants eventually did find relief from depression symptoms. This is important information — that individuals need to work with their psychiatrist or doctor to find not only the right dose level for them, but also the right medication. It is a completely trial-and-error process. So be certain to talk regularly to your prescribing professional and let them know if your medications aren’t working.

Source: Psych Central

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. mac

mac Active Member

I hate being controlled by medicine that hasn't worked for me. I've tried three at various strengths to no avail. I want to get better going the natural approach as I feel these meds are going to make me so much more worse off in the long run with their side-affects.

4. anthony

Natural therapies IMHO are the best therapies, the only problem is they cost more, hence why they are not used as readily. If only more people tried them opposed to taking cost vs. their health.

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i would try the acupuncture, i think, if i could afford it. my ins. co. would not pay any on it. but, there is no one real close here that i would trust to do it. i could probably go to virginia or maryland and find someone, though.

i took an online depression screening test yesterday, and was surprised that it was still measuring me as moderately severe depression. i take 3 anti-depressants, big doses--and i'm wondering why? i do feel better than i did in the beginning, but a lot of the reason for that is probably therapy and the help on this site.

i get to start weaning off the prozac in about 2 wks. i plan on getting off of all of them, but i want to go slow, so i dont go nuts.

6. anthony

Cathy, what I gather from your post, is that you believe anti-depressants make you no longer depressed! Have you not gathered that that is not the case at all yet?

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

read that again anthony, i actually meant just the opposite.
    cathy