1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Suggestions Wanted - PTSD or Not?

Discussion in 'General' started by CrazyPJ, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

Hello,
    I am a 54 year old white male from uk. I had near death experience when I was 2. Have found it difficult to relate to people all my life. Very withdrawn. Live alone. Have survived many years of heroin/amphetamine/barbiturate addiction. Also had another three voilent near death expeireinces and numerous overdoses. I sought help 20 years ago and was diagnosed with depression. I was given valium,seroxat, prozac and lithium all of which had distressing side affects for me. I stopped taking them and ingest medical marijuana instead. Only through reading about PTSD on the internet etc did I recognise the same symptoms in myself. I went back to my doc and I now have a new appointment to see the psychiatrist again, armed with this new knowledge. However I am reluctant for obvious reasons to divulge that I ingest mm which I am happy with as a medicine. I just want a proper diagnosis is all. Anyone any suggestions what I should do??

Thanks for reading

:pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :thumbs-up

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Yeah - be completely open and honest with your psych. He/she's not your enemy - if they're going to give you an accurate diagnosis you'll need to be completely honest - you owe this to yourself and to your psych. Also, don't expect your psych to give you a disgnosis straight away - it should take a few sessions to get a medical understanding of your condition so that it can be categorised.

Let me ask you a question in the meantime. What would it mean to you if you were diagnosed with PTSD?

4. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

35 years ago I knew there was summin wrong with me emotions. I have lost count of the number of psychs, counsellors and healeras I have seen. I have been diagnosed as manic depressive, alcoholic, addict and not once ever was it mentioned that I might have PTSD. So it would mean to me at last I can know whats wrong with me and then perhaps I can forgive myself and move into a new phase of my life.

PJ

5. willing

willing Active Member

I agree be honest. The only thing is that I never know what I am supposed to say or tell because I often feel I am whinny and too needy not adult enough so someone suggested I write things down. So I do and I just read them off to him. It helps.

6. CrazyPJ

CrazyPJ New Member

Thanks for the replies. I see I have focused on the negative in my life but there has been lots of positives too Yes, it would mean I can forgive myself at least and focus more on the how to live with it I guess. I have had a lot of therapy for depression over the years and a lot of it undoubtedly helped me but I always felt as if I was off track somehow. Yes, youre right, I will be totally honest and leave the rest up to him.

Thanks again

PJ

7. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Yeah - If you feel llike you're having difficulty opening up - keep a daily journal and read this to your psych - that's what I did - overtime you build a relationship of trust and you'll find you'll be able to talk freely which is a great sign.